dwarf gourami has a sore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missgingersnap

Aquarium Advice Activist
My DG got a weird thing that looked sort of like a pimple a few weeks back. I put stress coat and put a bit of aquarium salt in with water changes. It seemed to get better. The tip came off leaving a scar that looked like it was healing over. I just noticed today it looks a little sunken in and a bit red. I don't think it's hole in the head but maybe an ulcer. I tried to google different things and the ulcer seemed to fit best. He seems happy as a clam...swimming, eating, picking on his tankmates as usual. I don't have a hospital tank. I'm new at this stuff. I didn't know anything about cycling a tank so he was in there through the whole cycle and I'm sure it took a toll on the poor lil' guy. I did loads of water changes so the levels never got too high. The tank is cycled now...ammonia 0ppm, nitrites 0ppm, nitrates 10ppm. Not sure what I should do and would an ulcer be contagious? I just put some stresscoat in and started with salt again. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
smiley.gif

my paradise fish got a couple of ulcers when i got her back from the fish store, i just made sure she wasn't stressed, added some melafix for 5 days or so, did more regular partial water changes, and they seem to have totally gone now (2 weeks later). from what i have read you don't have to worry too much about ulcers, so long as the fish/tankmates don't have any other diseases, and they should go away with very clean water and peaceful environment.
good luck!

I'll get some of that melafix. I almost bought some the other day. I hope it goes away...he's a real cute fish. Thanks for the info. :)

I just googled melafix and it said not to use it with labyrinth fish....does something bad to their labyrinth organ. Anyone have any experience with this?

Back
Top Bottom