Dwarf Gourami Profile

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldn't bother with dwarfs any more, or until the stock is healthier. It is ridiculous how many people have had DG's die on them for no reason. If you want an alternative, Honey Gouramis stay small and are peaceful, like DG's. They also seem to be a bit healthier.

adadkins1 said:
I wouldn't bother with dwarfs any more, or until the stock is healthier. It is ridiculous how many people have had DG's die on them for no reason. If you want an alternative, Honey Gouramis stay small and are peaceful, like DG's. They also seem to be a bit healthier.

I agree, the amount of deaths of these guys I've been hearing is gettin silly, I do like them tho lol. I seen the honey gouramis last time I went to my lfs and couldn't really tell them apart from the DG's but they wasn't for sale yet for some reason, gonna see if they've had a new shipment of DG's first if not, I might have to have a look at them, Thanks :)

Okay, since y'all seem to have experinced these things, is the part of the DG problem? Or is this normal? He's staying at the bottom, swims at an angel at short bursts, this can be normal.. then he'll lay on his side, either flat, or like this:

Any suggestions to whata wrong?

Thanks!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110816_140602.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110816_140602.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 370
hmm. Now im not ssure i want to get dwarfs... They look amazing, i love them, but i think i may get honeys instead. do they like plants as much as dwarfs?

Okay, since y'all seem to have experinced these things, is the part of the DG problem? Or is this normal? He's staying at the bottom, swims at an angel at short bursts, this can be normal.. then he'll lay on his side, either flat, or like this:

Any suggestions to whata wrong?

Thanks!

that is NOT normal, seems a lot like DGD to me, i would get it out of the tank asap

Great profile! :)

Seriously though, DGs are psychotic. They use reverse psychology on you without knowing it! You can't define normal behavior of DGs because they're so versatile, so when a DG acts up you're like, "Oh no he's sick! But the water parameters are fine! Is this normal? Or maybe the LFS gave me a bad one! But they were like this at the store too! Oh what if that fish is bullying him?" It can go like that for hours, and then the fish is either dead or alive, and then he acts up again and the process starts once more. I say we should do some experiments and actually find out what is considered the "normal" behavior for these fishies.

Great profile! :)

Seriously though, DGs are psychotic. They use reverse psychology on you without knowing it! You can't define normal behavior of DGs because they're so versatile, so when a DG acts up you're like, "Oh no he's sick! But the water parameters are fine! Is this normal? Or maybe the LFS gave me a bad one! But they were like this at the store too! Oh what if that fish is bullying him?" It can go like that for hours, and then the fish is either dead or alive, and then he acts up again and the process starts once more. I say we should do some experiments and actually find out what is considered the "normal" behavior for these fishies.

well, mine used to swim a lot for some reason....:ROFLMAO:i crack myself up sometimes hahaha

I've bought 3 powder blue dwarf gourami and all have died within a few weeks. I also have flame gourami which I bought at the same time and they are fine. The powder blues just quit eating and became listless and died within a few days. They are beautiful, but I'll never buy more.

I tend to think that it is a problem with either the breeding stock or something strange is happening at the point of origin. I would not be surprised that they all come from one major fish farm in Asia.
I wonder if there are such problems with "home breed" gouramis that have been breed outside of fish farms for generations..
Marty :huh:

My sister got a DG 6 months ago and has never acted strange. Pyro even gives her high-fives. When my sister puts her finger on the glass, Pyro touches her with her feelers!

My DG will do the same thing. Hopefully the problems will be solved, or it could be the end of Dwarf Gouramis in the aquarium trade.

I have had 2 Dwarf Gourami die on me. One was 2 months, the other was 6 hours in my tank.

I have had 2 Dwarf Gourami die on me. One was 2 months, the other was 6 hours in my tank.

Yeah, they still seem to be very sickly. Almost impossible to find any decent stock at even the most reliable LFS in town. I would almost tell anybody new to the hobby to not even bother with them. My brother-in-law's died only 3-4 months after being in the tank. All params were good, so it was likely just yet another random death.

I had 2 Dwarfs in a 90 gallon, got a long fine for months, then one day the one took a chunk out of the other ones head. Couldn't save him.
Now a month later, the other dwarf has a large bump near his mouth and eye (Not in contact with either, kind of like the lower cheek bone). He also has a red patch on the 1 side of his belly, and it looked like he had another spot on his other side starting. All within 24 hours.

Never stopped eating, fins not clamped

Started treating with melafix 3 days ago, the one for wounds, pop eye, infection etc..

No improvement or decline yet, still 4 more doses to go, will let you know!

I had one, died within a week, just got a flame dwarf, so far he is acting better than the last one. What I am noticing is that at feeding time my community tears through the food and he's not getting as much. Thinking if I can spot feed him some how. It seems like If the food is not floating he won't eat it ( no top, no bottom ). Anyone else have similar scenarios? Wonder if not enough food stresses them out.
Supra

I have one in my 46 gallon I have had him for about 8 months and never had a problem, my mate also got 1 the same time I did and his is also fine but I live in the uk maybe we get them from a different place

I have one in my 46 gallon I have had him for about 8 months and never had a problem, my mate also got 1 the same time I did and his is also fine but I live in the uk maybe we get them from a different place

Yep, I believe a lot of LFS in the UK get stock from different sources than those in the US. It is still sad, because I can't count the number of mysterious deaths that have been reported. Glad you and your friend's Dwarf Gouramis are thriving! :)

Back
Top Bottom