dwarf gourami tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dudeofrude

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm considering changing my 36g bowfront into a dg only tank. Just curious how many you guys think i could keep in there? My lfs said 10 (5m 5f) would easily be ok but I'm skeptical? Any opinions?

IMO your asking for trouble. It may work short term but you'll probably end up with a tank full of stressed fish.
Why don't you do a 3 in a planted tank. One male and 2 females. A nice school of something and some bottom dwellers.

IMO your asking for trouble. It may work short term but you'll probably end up with a tank full of stressed fish.
Why don't you do a 3 in a planted tank. One male and 2 females. A nice school of something and some bottom dwellers.

sounds good to me. I love dg, but none of my tanks are stocked for them. Some day, we'll see.

Mumma.of.two said:

I've already got them in a community tank, i was just wanting to change it and as i like them i thought it might be nice to have a species only set up.

i have 7 male dgs in my 45 gal along with other fish including 2 male rams and they all get along just fine. i got them all in the same time frame(about 2 months) so that might help. all my fish are males. i've come to the conclusion that if there aren't any females to fight over they all get along o.k. i've had them for 11 months now so they are mature. i'm not expecting anything to change.

I've never had females and the males still fought to the death. I had 2 males in a 35g, introduced at the same time, and one ran the other out of the tank.

i should mention that my 45 gal is a coffee table aquarium. it's 56" long so there's alot of horizontal swimming room. picture attached.

thanks i like it. it's really maple veneer. i didn't have space against a wall so i got the table. it's working out great for me. all fish seem happy and i have the same fish for almost 11 months now but i think the credit goes to frequent water changes. nothing affects your fish's health more than water quality imo. if you've got good water parameters you're way ahead of the game.

Mumma.of.two said:
How many have you got?

I have 4 (2m 2f) they all get along great but they are from the same tank in my lfs so they were with eachother before, now they just have more room :)
Even so they all stay together in a kind of shoal inside my java fern, then when its feeding time the males go one end of the tank and the females go to the other.
My lfs only sells them in m+f pairs. The local pets@home will sell them singular but if that isn't a warning sign then i don't know what is lol

dudeofrude said:
I have 4 (2m 2f) they all get along great but they are from the same tank in my lfs so they were with eachother before, now they just have more room :)
Even so they all stay together in a kind of shoal inside my java fern, then when its feeding time the males go one end of the tank and the females go to the other.
My lfs only sells them in m+f pairs. The local pets@home will sell them singular but if that isn't a warning sign then i don't know what is lol

If those 4 are happy I wouldn't add any more IMO. Might disrupt what they have going on.

Back
Top Bottom