Dwarf gourami with Bolivian ram

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guppyman34

Aquarium Advice Freak
Would a dwarf gourami be able to live with a Bolivian ram? Also how common is dwarf gourami disease? Would a honey gourami work out better? It would be going in a 30 gallon with 7 het rasboras, 7 neon tetras, 1 BN Pleco, 2 bronze cories, and the ram.

I had a dwarf gourami that chased my bolivian rams regularly, so I gave it away. I'm not sure if that is common or not though. I now have had a honey gourami that I moved with them from another tank a couple days ago and seems to be doing fine. Personally I would go with a honey gourami instead of the dwarf.

I have a Blue Gourami (3 spot), and they are said to be one of the more aggressive types. I also have 4 Bolivians, and he does not bug them at all. Maybe a quick chase now and then during feeding time, but other than that, no. But the thing about Gourami is that it seems to depend almost 100% on their temperament. Mine is pretty tame, but I have heard that is not always the case, and they can often be very very aggressive.

Give it a try, but be willing to take it back to the store if it does not work out. That is the best way to approach it really.

I have a Blue Gourami (3 spot), and they are said to be one of the more aggressive types. I also have 4 Bolivians, and he does not bug them at all. Maybe a quick chase now and then during feeding time, but other than that, no. But the thing about Gourami is that it seems to depend almost 100% on their temperament. Mine is pretty tame, but I have heard that is not always the case, and they can often be very very aggressive.

Give it a try, but be willing to take it back to the store if it does not work out. That is the best way to approach it really.

Ok thanks! That's definitely something I'll consider.

I recently read a report about imported Asian DG's which stated that 22 or 23% (can't remember which) of imported DG's were infected with this virus. It also went on to talk about whether it was even able to infect other species. I personally have two DG in my 220g and both are quite healthy. As for temperment, that is an individual thing varying with each fish. One thing that can attribute to higher aggression is too small a tank with too many other fish and not enough plant cover (fake or live). Honey Gourami's I've found over the years seem to just tend to be more mellow by nature. I also have one Honey with the two Dwarfs. So a Honey gourami would be a better choice IMO plus they come in Sunset Honey and Golden Honey color varieties.

Back
Top Bottom