Dwarf Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulbrear

Aquarium Advice Regular
Have a male and female dwarf gourami and wondered what to look for in mating behavior are there any special

Yes do you have a spare tank. If not what is in the tank their in now. To encourage breeding here's what I do.

Supplement them with live, frozen foods ( freeze dried bloodworms , brine shrimp for a week or two
Higher the temperature gradually to 80 f
Lower the waterline to 10 inches
Make sure the filter is a sponge filter and make sure the water flow is gentle
Use an old margarine lid to float in the tank as a top for the bubble nest ( the male will appreciate it!!)
He should start building a nest
When ready he will invite the female under the nest and they should breed
She will wrap himself around her and "shake"
She will deposit the eggs and he should fertilise them
He will then pick the eggs up and put them in the bubble nest
After this he will chase the female away from the nest
Leave him in there until they hatch then after that he may munch on them so it would be best if you move him

How to care for fry!:

In the first 3 days I think they eat the egg sac
You might want to pre make infusoria by putting a cube of banana, potato in a jar with an open lid for a week before by a window
Pour a little in the tank for feeding
After that you could probably feed them baby brine shrimp ( someone may know a bit more about feeding them)

During this time of breeding if you have a spare tank the female should be placed in first and supplement her with that sort of food in the spare tank. Putting her in first ought to give her time to establish a territory. Make sure there is caves and plants to hide in.

I can't help you with feeding the fry after infusoria / baby brine shrimp stage

Every few days do water changes of 5% and clear any dead fry

Ps when the bubble nest is being built you might want to switch off the filter completely and siphon the water out instead .

Someone might correct me if I made any mistakes but I think I covered it!
If you need to know anymore about water parameters ect just let me know! :D

Thanks for your help I may just try this! u said about water parameters do they need anything special ??

Sorry didn't mention 40l tank and u can c my stock list on the bottom of this comment and no other tanks !!

The ph needs to be 6-8 and the water parameters need to be 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 0-20 nitrates . I think that's right

When male dwarf gouramis are ready to breed, they get a dark blue patch in their "chin" area. If you don't see that, he may be too young to breed or not in condition to breed.
Also, I've used live floating plants or Romain lettuce instead of the plastic lids for the male to make his nest in. It acts as a source of infusorias as well as a natural place for the male to make a nest. Be aware that at this point, the only filter you should be using should be a sponge filter and it should be barely moving water. If the tank is a small tank, you should probably do without any filter until the fry have hatched and started feeding. They are very sensitive to water movement as with other labrynth fish.

Hope this helps (y)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom