Dwarf gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bluethumb

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was thinking if getting a dwarf gourami for a new tank. I've heard that they're hard to take care of. Is it true and they're difficult, or not?

Mine tends to be a bit timid around feeding time, but he's still alive so he must be eating something. Other than that, it hasnt been any more difficult than my other common community fish.

Thanks. Are they harder than cardinals? Do they get diseases easier, or more picky about the water?

Yeah... Im not really the Dwarf Gourami expert. Im pretty sure if you keep your fish in a clean, healthy environment, then you wont need to worry about most diseases.

Dwarf gouramis are generally hardy, however from inbreeding some are very sensitive. Just be careful with your water quality.
Males will build bubble nests too! And for feeding, it was a bit tricky getting mine to eat because he was so timid. I fed mine flakes and bloodworms.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Most people say their hard to keep because the man made varieties usually have a virus. I've never had a problem with them.

I've had one before that that was one of the hardiest fish I've ever had. One day our power went out and caused my heater to glitch. When we came home, my tank was 90 degrees and the only fish left alive was the dwarf gouranami and a Cory. I'd say their tough fish but that might just be the stock mine was from.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So I am interested in these fish also. How do you know if its a "man made" variety or not? I've heard of this virus before and don't want to get some and be disheartened when they die on me.

That I'm not sure. I took a chance and got mine at petsmart and he was fabulous when I had him, super hardy

By man-made varieties, they just mean the specimens that are tank bred and have been selectively bred over generations for their bright colors. They are usually the commonly available ones, because the ones selectively bred ones sell better because of the appearance. The red variant, for example, is not natural but has been been bred for.
The virus they are referring to is called dwarf gourami disease. It is a virus that has been blamed for quite a few deaths in the last decade and has been said to have contracted by fish from large scale breeding operations, particularly those outside of the US. Now, viruses cannot be readily identified without a lab and microscope in a lot of cases, so there is debate about how much has actually this virus versus just an overall a decline in the commercially bred population quality. I will leave that research up to you, but I will say that I usually suggest an alternative like the honey gourami instead of the dg when it is available.
As for how hardy they are, that depends on the fish and the circumstances. I see A LOT of troubles revolving around them, so I personally do not believe they are the hardiest of fish, they can tolerate a higher temperature range than some other fish, but I wouldn't say that is indicative of their overall health. If you want to try one, they are gorgeous little fish and just look for a healthy looking one from a good place. Plenty of people have kept them and really enjoyed them. If you would like to consider an alternative, consider the honey gourami or the thick lipped gourami or the paradise gourami. Up to you though. As long as you find healthy stock from a good place, you will probably be fine. I hope that answers your question a bit, if there is more you would like to know, feel free to ask. :)

I recently got a pair of dwarf blue gouramis from petco, and both of them ended up dead within a week. I would not suggest getting that breed from that store.

Would a honey be fine in a 10g? I was also thinking of putting some glow light or other small tetras in with it. Would they be fine also? My local fish store is amazing and the fish are really hardy. They have lots of beautiful ones.

I've had two flame reds for about 6 months in a 50 gal. community tank. They've eaten well since the beginning and get along well with the other fish, including angles. They nipped at each other for a few weeks, no real damage, then it stopped. You have to make sure to only put them with comparable fish or they can be aggressive. Beautiful fish and I like the smaller size.

And some floating plants - my gouramis lacked those, Hid behind the heater, and I think were stressed/burned to death. I would get some floating plants.

What tank mates would be fine with them? I was thinking of small tetras.

Small tetras should be fine, especially if they have the same water parameter preferences. Just avoid boisterous tank mates.

Back
Top Bottom