Dwarf gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Allanhep

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi im not new to the fish keeping hobby but im out of my comfort zone when it comes to gouramis so I purchased my self a couple electric blue dwarf gouramis I was informed they were a pair although in a small tank they seemed to get on ok I added them to my tank and they seemed to go in opposite directions a few hours later I noticed the male nipping at the females side and touching her with his(not sure what they are called)...feelers. she then darted away he gave Chase and keeps doing this the female is now hiding and it looks like the male combs the tank and does the same when he finds her. Any help with this species of fish would be great

Male
IMG_20171005_132532.jpgIMG_20171005_132536.jpg

Female
IMG_20171005_132802.jpgIMG_20171005_140951.jpg

Allan, if you were in fact actually lucky enough to get a male and female and not two males, you probably have nothing to worry about. The dominant Gourami is probably flexing his muscles in its new surroundings. As long as his aggression is not causing any damage to the weaker fish, no worries. Things will likely level out.

I agree, your lucky they are male and female. It sounds like she’s into that kind of kink, Just kidding. I think you’re ok too.
I got 2 powder blues as well but they are both male. They both have their own territory and caves, on either side of the tank, and they both antagonize each other equally, by sneaking into each other’s territory, but it’s just chasing. No biting. They are both the same size. They were my 1st fish and have been with me since day 1. I brought this up before, but as stupid as this seems, I taped a blow up colour picture of a powder blue on the tanks, to send the message that the one taped up is the dominate male, so they would knock it off. I swear it worked for a while. I got the idea on YouTube. Give it a try, what have you got to loose.

Thanks for the advice I will give it a try as now the tables have turned and the female has now decided she's taking no more and chases the male he keeps swimming up to her and curving his body and wiggling his tail bit she's not having it

Back
Top Bottom