Dwarf Gouramis and Apistos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carlitouus

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,

I am trying to set up a new tank again(30G)
It's a tall tank with LED lights so I believe there is space.

I am thinking on mixing Dwarf Gouramis(2xorange and 2x blue) with Aistos(2 pairs)

Is it possible? I want to breed my apistos though, which is why I'm worried about the setup.

My gouramis are all males(as it is very hard to find females) and I want to put two female and two male apistos in the tank and try to breed them as I want another excuse to get another tank:)angel::angel:). Is it possible? I know I will have space but I want to make sure I won't have hard time trying to breed my apistos. If only one pair of apistos is adviced, then I'm willing to do that as well and I know they're smaller than the dwarf gouramis.

What do you guys think? I know it's better to have the apistos alone in the tank but I really want my Dwarf in the new tank( as they are really colorful). My dwarf are peaceful I have them in a tank with Bolivian Rams which I will leave for my RamS alone in the other tank.

Anyone who has this setup and is still able to breed apistos?

I am not certain but I don't think you can keep the female in the same tank. Plus gouramis are omnivorous and will probably try to eat the eggs/ fry.

What female? The apisto? Well I'm trying to breed the apistos and that could be an issue.

I would honestly encourage you to do more research on apisto breeding and see what conditions they require to spawn. I don't know very much about apistos or breeding but from perusing articles on breeding I've found a lot of people won't breed their fish without a 40g breeder specific tank.

most apistos can be kept in smaller setups, a 30G should be sufficient, some are harem breeders in which the male will breed with multiple females so you may want to look into that because pairs would not be an effective choice. also ive heard that multiple DG in a tank can have some aggression issues

BHead707 said:
most apistos can be kept in smaller setups, a 30G should be sufficient, some are harem breeders in which the male will breed with multiple females so you may want to look into that because pairs would not be an effective choice. also ive heard that multiple DG in a tank can have some aggression issues

Do you think they would even spawn surrounded by gouramis? Honestly just curious

probably not, but i dont have first hand experience with breeding them.. if the OP's main objective is to breed the apistos then the best bet is to species only,

Guess I will have to leave them alone if I want to breed them.

Thanks for the help guys.

I don't know much about apistos but when I saw them at at this store, I just couldn't resist to get a new tank.

Back
Top Bottom