Dwarf gouramis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spencer1044

Aquarium Advice Freak
Has anyone ever kept these successfully because when ever I try it never works out. i wanted to keep 2 together in a 29 gal. Any advice thanks.

If its a male and female you probably could. Two males will definitely fight though I tried it and one of the gouramis got killed. So I'd try 1 male or 1 female and 1 male.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I had 2 females and 1 male in a 35g, well planted with caves, everything was good, they still look happier in my 55 :)

Yep the higher the female to male ratio the happier they are. I've heard at least 3:1

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Gouramis do best 3 females per male.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Or as a single Gourami. Some fight no matter the ratio.

There is a DG disease. Check sales tank carefully before purchase. It's almost impossible to buy females near me. Most stores don't sell them.

I saw a true pair of Honey Gouramis once...but they weren't for sale. Gorgeous and healthier than many DGs

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 Yep, that's why I have my male dwarf flame as my center piece in my 20g. No females to be found. I added him last and he has done really well.

Depending on the species often by looking simply at coloring (males are brighter/prettier). Also, the shape of the dorsal fin (male have more of a point, females are rounded).

Isn't there the possibility of having a shoal of them? I've read that after a certain number (I believe it was 5), they establish a hierarchy and stop abusing each other... I may be mistaken, and it wouldn't matter since you couldn't (shouldn't) house that many in a 29g.

But I'll echo what was said above:
2 males = one fish you never see.
1 male + Females = pimpin.

True i just need a show piece fish or 2 and another small school of fish for the tank

I have two female that live together just fine. They are both full grown now. They play even together. As long as the tank is large enough for each one to have its own space :)

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Isn't there the possibility of having a shoal of them? I've read that after a certain number (I believe it was 5), they establish a hierarchy and stop abusing each other... I may be mistaken, and it wouldn't matter since you couldn't (shouldn't) house that many in a 29g.

But I'll echo what was said above:
2 males = one fish you never see.
1 male + Females = pimpin.

Yes, that actually happened when I first got DG (my first fish, I was so uneducated) I got 3 and everything was good, until one died of parasites about a year later, then the two left fought to the death of one.. That's when I got the girlies and everything went back unto order..

You could keep one male and a small school of tetras in that tank. A male DG will nip small fish and then feed on their carcass in smaller tanks (as I've found...).

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom