Dwarf Gouramis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jenema

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been looking into getting one or two dwarf gourami for my 20 gallon tank. I heard that if you keep a male and a female together the male will be aggressive towards her. Is this true? Also will a male be okay in a community aquarium? And will they eat ghost shrimp?

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You really only want one Gouramis in your tank. The are quite peaceful towards other fish. But they are close relatives of the Betta, and share the Betta's aggression towards tank mates of their own kind (including other Bettas).

Shrimp will be a bit iffy...

Before I knew anything about Gouramis, I put three dwarfs in the same tank. The most aggressive died within a week (I think it died of stress trying to defend its territory). The other two managed to live together without physical harm, but were forever chasing each other.

We placed a dozen Red Cherry Shrimp in the tank. I know we once saw the larger of the two Gouramis eating a shrimp (but I'm not sure if he found it dead or managed to catch it). However, just after this Gouramis died (managed to get itself stuck in a decorative rock), we started seeing the shrimp "out in the open" a lot more often.

Agreed only go with one. Also, I'll leave this picture here. My old dwarf gourami sharing food peacefully.

75748-albums12252-picture61448.jpg

Just get one as a nice center piece fish. Two males will fight, and females are dull and can bring out aggression in the male. One is the perfect number.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Hello

My aquashop has always had males and females available in one tank. I myself have had the pleasure of having a pair in my 20g, they were very peaceful together. But when my male died to DGD, my female became overaggressive to every other fish in the tank, very bizarre!

About the shrimp.. It's a hit or miss really! ?

Sent per three-eyed raven..

My dg is great with my guppies, he kinda just hangs out and does his own thing. They are super fun to watch.

Honey gouramis are more peaceful, they are also a little bit smaller. Although they are less colorful.

Fishobsessed7

Okay, another question, I'm pretty sure the answer is no but I just want to make sure lol. If I was to get a pearl gourami (btw I now have a 29 gallon not a 20) could I also get a dwarf? I assume they would get territorial just like 2 of the same species but I thought I would ask anyway.

I have a question on Gouramis: I have Blue Gourami fry, about 10, can I expect fights later on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

55 gallon tank, no other fish

Back
Top Bottom