Dwarf hair grass issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rsunga73

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Anybody have dwarf hair grass growing? I'm having the worst luck with them. I have them in a dirted tank with sand topper in a 10 gal. My lights are 6500 cfls. They're starting to turn brown. Any tips is greatly appreciated.

Where they in emersed growth form when you added them? Even in a dirted tank they need ferts and at least daily liquid carbon if not CO2.

could you grow hairgrass in medium light with diy co2

Brian_Nano12g grows it in a low tech no carbon/ferts with only aqua soil and it's from pet smart. I'm on my phone or I would post the link.

Brian_Nano12g grows it in a low tech no carbon/ferts with only aqua soil and it's from pet smart. I'm on my phone or I would post the link.

He does indeed. Brian is very good with his plants and im sure he'll say his DHG growth is relatively slow

Got them from petco in those plastic bag things.

Then it was grown emersed as what Rivercats was getting to. Meaning, that the DHG will stall in growth or even melt (turn yellow and brown) before it recovers, acclimates, and grows new leaves for submersed growth.

At least moderate light, ferts, and co2 will help this transition.

I'm only able to grow it my lower light tank with little ferts and no co2 because it is fully acclimated to immersed growth and aqua soil is a type of substrate that has a good amount of nutrients baked in. Otherwise, I don't recommend this.

DHG has grown and carpeted much faster and more lush when I grew in with moderate to high light, co2, and fertilizer dosing that was comprehensive (PPS-Pro or at least Seachem Flourish).

Then it was grown emersed as what Rivercats was getting to. Meaning, that the DHG will stall in growth or even melt (turn yellow and brown) before it recovers, acclimates, and grows new leaves for submersed growth.

At least moderate light, ferts, and co2 will help this transition.

I'm only able to grow it my lower light tank with little ferts and no co2 because it is fully acclimated to immersed growth and aqua soil is a type of substrate that has a good amount of nutrients baked in. Otherwise, I don't recommend this.

DHG has grown and carpeted much faster and more lush when I grew in with moderate to high light, co2, and fertilizer dosing that was comprehensive (PPS-Pro or at least Seachem Flourish).

Thanks for your input Brian hopefully they will recover.

Back
Top Bottom