Dwarf Hairgrass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cd5

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was at my lfs and saw they were selling dwarf hairgrass, the guy there said that it cover a tank like grass covers a lawn, is this true, also my gravel is composed of the standard rock gravel will this affect the hairgrass, also I have a severum in my tank, I read they are not great with plants, My severum does attack my swords sometimes but never causes that much damage, I just up graded my lighting to 1.45wpg
thanks in advance

Hairgrass will grow fast and spread like a lawn, but from what I've read they need a lot of light. I'm sure it would be ok with your fish.

Also I have no idea how your getting by with just 1.45wpg. That is very low, but I did great with my Amazon sword with less than 2wpg, but the tank also wasn't that deep.

I would agree that it needs good light. I grew it under 3 wpg without any CO2 and it did well, although I'm sure CO2 would help out. It wasn't a terribly fast grower even under 3 wpg and no CO2 so I'm not sure how it might handle 1.45 wpg.

Lighting and substrate play a big part on how successful you will be. Hairgrass does well in finer substrates and with a good amount of light, roughly 3 wpg. It will spread and over time create a "lawn." It is fairly easily uprooted, so, that's another thing to consider. One more thing you might note is most pet store varieties are Eleocharis acicularis. This isn't really the "dwarf" hairgrass. It can reach 5-6" in height, especially in lower lighting.

Back
Top Bottom