Dwarf Hermits for nano reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drfu

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have heard quite a bit of chat about hermits eating snails, bulldozing over coral frags, etc so i have never had any for my nano tanks. I have read that some dwarf species are not so bad, my thoughts were to just add some diversity, color & entertainment, not so much for clean up thought that would be a bonus. Thoughts on adding one for each tank? Which kind? Thanks

I keep blue legged hermits in my 55 tank. They stay pretty small, but still love to go on murder sprees for new shells. With only nerite snails left in my tank, my snails aren't plundered anymore, assuming just off of size and them always being on the glass.

Dwarf zebra hermits stay small and don't really knock stuff over but they will go after snails. Hermits can be down right homicidal, they are entertaining though.

Dwarf zebra hermits stay small and don't really knock stuff over but they will go after snails. Hermits can be down right homicidal, they are entertaining though.

Is their a type of snail they don't go after? I have nassarius, trochus, nerites, dwarf ceriths, bumble bee.
Will they go after,my shrimp, i have the small sexy anemone type & 2 peppermint ones? Im guessing if i don't want to replace my snails then the answer is don't get them I'm assuming?

There probably less likely to go after nerites (pretty much always on the glass) nasarius (in the sand) or bumble bees ( to small) but if the snail is on the rocks or sand they can get at them. As for the sexies, no the hermits would never be able to catch a sexy there way to fast. And you oretty much nailed it on the replacing snails part, up to you really though, if you really like them then get them, for the most part there pretty funny and cool to see in the tank. Some just take it too far

There probably less likely to go after nerites (pretty much always on the glass) nasarius (in the sand) or bumble bees ( to small) but if the snail is on the rocks or sand they can get at them. As for the sexies, no the hermits would never be able to catch a sexy there way to fast. And you oretty much nailed it on the replacing snails part, up to you really though, if you really like them then get them, for the most part there pretty funny and cool to see in the tank. Some just take it too far

So if i go for one, which dwarf species would you recommend?

Blue legs all the way. I've never had one attack a snail. You shouldn't have anything to worry about if you have some extra shells hanging around. Mine seem to have enjoyed some abandoned bumblebee and small nassarius shells. When you go pick them up you can ask the employee to pick out empty shells from several of the hermit and snail tanks.

Back
Top Bottom