Dwarf pike in a 15 gallon tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigRets

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all, Iv been seeing a lot of different answers on Google about the smallest size a dwarf pike can live in comfty. Answers range form 10g-55+ sooo... Would my 15 gallon be suitable for 1?:ermm:

I'd say 20 gallon minimum for a crenicichla regani or compressiceps pair (two most readily available dwarf pikes), and if it's something like a crenicichla wallacei, about a 30 for a pair

Hey all, Iv been seeing a lot of different answers on Google about the smallest size a dwarf pike can live in comfty. Answers range form 10g-55+ sooo... Would my 15 gallon be suitable for 1?:ermm:

For a single dwarf, which is <4 inches and slender , 55+ is ridiculous. More realistically you need 15 - 30 Gallons.

Pairs are another story and have additional considerations beyond just tank size. I'm assuming you are just looking for a single?

What dwarf are you looking at?

Id be looking at singles but now multies caught my eye because they are so small, and a very beautiful fish....WHat do you think 1 dwarf pike or 1 male Lamprologus Multifasciatus and 2 maybe 3 females

Multis are awesome and that will work in a 15 Just get sand and about 3 shells for each multi. They will breed tho so be prepared for more.

Whats a good amount to get I heard roughly 1 male 2-4 females? but I also heard they pair up?

Not realy pair their colony breeders one male will breed with all the females.

My 15 gallon multi tank

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130710_194409.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130710_194409.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 153
Yea thats 1 of my tanks. As far as plants go if you look at the piles of sand that was level 3 weeks ago. They constantly move and bury the shells. They will rescape the whole tank over night. Its amazing how much sand they will move for such a little fish.

Im not talking about anything fancy just a big clump of hornwart and duckweed to help with water quailty

Oh you can put it in there it wont cause any problems. and it will give babies more hiding spots. If they are planted plants you may have to weight them down so they dont dig them up.

...in a tank that small should I stick with only multi's or could I go with another dweller or 2?

No pike then, multies will not let anything live with them, not to mention you'd be mixing continents, a big no-no in the cichlid hobby. I have 8 adults and about 30 fry and they're fierce, even my leleupi won't go near them

No other fish, just multies. Shellies don't tolerate other shelly species, nor most other species. They are incredibly feisty.

As for plants, they will bury them and uproot them, so when I had mine in a small tank, I just put a couple chunks of holey rock in it and weaved anubias through the holes of it

And if I go away for a few days can multis live off snails or should I get somebody to feed them?

Yea no tank mates. They are the little but the attitude is right up there with the other big guys.

Back
Top Bottom