Dwarf Puffer Fluval Ebi -- OK to add Shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

digitallinh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I currently have a Fluval Ebi (7.9) that houses 2 dwarf puffers and 3 Otos. Eventually going for the "jungle" look as you can see attached, I have a Java moss farm developing off my drift wood, a crypt spiralas in the back, wisteria on the side and some different crypts and HG up front.

Planning to add a bunch more the next time I trim my main tank.

---

The question is, would adding a cherry shrimp starter colony (15-20) be overstocking the tank? My goal is for the shrimp to out-reproduce the DP's appetite, assuming the DPs even eat them. (I currently have 5 ghost shrimp in there that the DP's are leaving alone)

My filter is the Fluval nano that comes with the ebi kit. If it will absolutely not work, would an Eheim 2211 make it work? Thanks!

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 258
RCS would not overstock it, but I doubt they'd last long. DPs can decimate a colony pretty quickly. (I tried an RCS/DP tank). You'll be better off to start another 5 or 10 for the shrimp and manually feed the Ebi IMO.

Nice nano!

Last edited:
You have a really nice setup, but your tank is already way overstocked. You never know when those DPs will start attacking. It could take days, weeks, or months for them to feel overcrowded and nibble on your current shrimps and ottos.

From my understanding each dwarf puffer needs roughly 5-6 gallons per fish do to aggression and the fact they are such messy eaters.

I was under the impression, ottos and shrimp produced very little waste?

The 7.9 gallon seems to be just abut the minimum amount of space for the dwarves; they nip when they see each other, and the dominant one hogs all of the food, but for the most part they stay on their sides of the tank. I bought mine at almost an inch long, so they should be close to maturity.

I suppose I can take the ottos out, but I really have no place to put them right now. I'm really more concerned with bioload than space...the tank is eventually going to be jam packed with plants to obscure vision and suck up nitrates, maybe that will help.

The filtration for your tank is very weak. It won't do a good job sucking up all the waste. Yes, plants will help with the water parameters. You will have a harder time removing all the leftover waste from the tank if you fill it with more stuff. If you cant get another tank, then make sure you remove ANY visible waste or leftover food and keep a very close watch over your water parameter. Luckily, you have a small tank for easy water change when needed.

I started in the hobby about a month ago, with this ebi and a 29 gallon that's growing pretty well overall.

The 29 gallon currently has a Eheim 2213 + koralia powerhead which I'm tempted to get a 2215 for and use the 2213 for the 7.9...

A little worried a 2213 would be too much filtration for a 7.9 though... Might opt for the 2211... and leave the 29 gallon alone.

The fluval nano filter is definitely really weak though, especially when the plants thicken out, I will certainly run into some flow issues.

I love my puffers though; its so cute, they fight like little children.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 139
Back
Top Bottom