Dwarf Puffer in 3 gallon tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
WaterPond said:
dont feed puffers MTS, they are too hard and the puffer will hurt themselves trying to eat them (they break their teeth)

I love how this thread has convinced like three people to get puffers, HAHAHA

So the jury (at least for me) is still out on the MTS. I've read as long as you feed MTS that are larger than the mouth of the DP there is no problem (they suck them out). The only potential problem is if you feed a MTS that is small enough to get in the mouth. Apparently DP's throats are narrower then their mouth and so they can choke on them or cause other digestive issues since they didn't crunch them. Also I've read really small MTS are just fine since their shell is not near as hard as the adults. Lord knows I have a billion MTS of all different sizes.

And yes, I was one of the convinced (have my common pond snail factory up and running), although I will say I've had my eye on them for at least a year (when I first started up the tank I was going to just get a 10 gallon and obviously my stocking choices were limited). I am glad I didn't go for the DP as my first fish since the food requirements and temperament would have been difficult for a beginner to overcome (might have lost interest in the hobby).

My only conundrum now is do I go with a single DP for my 10 gallon, or attempt fate with 2-3. My brain says 1, but my heart says 3! 8O

They seemed to get along fine together at the pet store. :) I bet if you have plants/caves of sorts and places to hide they would be fine, like any other semi-aggressive fish. :)

I tell you a nearly bare 10 gal is awfully big for one DP....I feel another project coming on....lol.

The rule of thumb with these particular puffers is 1 male/tank. The unfortunate part is that it is very difficult to separate identities during their juvenile stage, which is when most are sold. If several are purchased, be prepared to eventually take one or more back before it is critically injured. As far as lfs' are concerned, I wouldn't rely on their disposition based on their actions within lfs confines. Lfs' usually heavily stock juveniles, which constantly keeps any territorial disputes at bay, but not necessarily meaning a general pecking order isn't randomly revolving either.

And that's why I'm having such a tough time deciding. It will be my work tank and so I won't be in on the weekends often, and so I would hate to have one get aggressive Friday afternoon, and come in Monday morning to a 1/2 eaten DP.

I plan to do only live plants (and a ceramic pot or two for physical hiding spots) and so it would be much easier to maintain the tank if I didn't need to have a ton of stuff in the tank (make cleaning also that much easier).

I still have at least 2 weeks before deciding so I'll go back and forth several times I'm sure. I was at PetSmart this morning with my daughter (she loves all the animals) and almost bought a 10 gallon tank for the DP. Now I'm trying to decide whether to keep the DP in my current QT/hospital tank, or get another tank just for the office. Decisions decisions...

I just stumbled across this thread... Now I am going out to see who stocks dwarf puffers and ten gallon tanks. You dirty, low down, good for nothings!

Sicklid said:
I just stumbled across this thread... Now I am going out to see who stocks dwarf puffers and ten gallon tanks. You dirty, low down, good for nothings!

I went yesterday to PetSmart and "fortunately" they didn't have any in stock so I was looking at an empty tank. I don't plan on buying them there (I only buy fish at my LFS that takes much better care of the livestock), but it would have sped up my purchase I'm sure.

Do what I'm doing now. Realize you need to supply them with a live food source (common pond snails are preferred) and start up a snail breeder first. This will force you to wait a bit and might allow you to break free of the DP hold. :)

Back
Top Bottom