Dwarf puffer prepping.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

7Enigma

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello everyone,

A recent thread got me sucked into wanting a DP and I've wanted a small tank at work for a while now so I'm in the process of taking my QT tank from home and putting it in my cube at work.

Here's my story so far:

So I just got back from my week vacation, and had no fish losses! During this time I had a 2 gallon container as a snail breeder. I didn't have a bubbler in it, it was completely sealed, and I fed it moderately before I left. I was worried I would be coming home to a bad situation.

Fortunately while it seems the water conditions were not good, I didn't lose any snails (that I could tell). There was also several egg casings on the walls and plants. I completely drained the container and replaced with fresh water (it smelled awful). Gave some more food, and brought the snail tank to work. I now have the water level near the top of the container and a small airstone supplying fresh air. They seem much happier and in the last 2 days have laid about 100 more eggs or so. Should be quite a bit of little guys pretty soon.

Depending on how quickly they hatch and multiply I'm looking to get the DP in the next week or two. My 10 gallon QT tank is fully cycled, I'll just do a heavy diatom filter of the substrate (currently housing a LOT of MTS which have made a mess of the tank), not to mention the "water changes" are my gravel vac's from the main tank (ie putting cleaner, but still very dirty water into this tank), clean the glass with a razor blade to remove all the algae growing (I was planning on getting some nerite snails and so was trying to create algae by increasing my lighting to 20hours a day), and drain the tank for the short 15min trip to work. Then I'll give it a day or two to make sure everything is OK and then its DP time!

I'll update with pics and progress later. Now lets see whom I can sucker into setting up a dwarf puffer tank.... ;)

I would suggest using as much of the original cycled water for the trip to work. Even half can make a difference...drain that half before murking up the water with the algae scrapping.

I would also suggest waiting more than a couple of days before introducing a DP. If there's a sudden ammonia spike, they'll feel it. Sometimes it may take up to three to five days for ammonia to even start registering in test results. I wait at least a week to let things re establish.

Good luck.

So what are you going to do for a QT? You may want to find a tank at a garage sale or something to cover for that loss. QTs are very valuable.

Back
Top Bottom