Dwarf puffer tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Khij159753

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey. Im planning on setting up a dwarf puffer tank for my gf who has always wanted a puffer fish.

I was looking at this tank

http://reviews.petco.com/3554/117467/aqueon-aqueon-evolve-led-aquarium-kit-reviews/reviews.htm

Would it grow plants?

I want to do a slightly planted (with hardy low light plants) tank. Just the 1 dwarf puffer as livestock.

I'll need alot of help as this is my first planted tank and first freshwater tank in years. Im running saltwater tanks right now. But first I just need to know if this would have all the equipment I'd need and if it'd work. Then I'll buy it set it up and get it cycling one step at a time.

I'm looking forward to this build and thanks in advance to everyone! :)

I haven't kept DP before, but I have been thinking of getting one, so I have done lot's of research :D

Dwarf Puffers need 5 gallons per fish. You could probably do 4, but you can get a plain glass one at petco for $15. They have LOTS of GREAT kits at Petsmart.

Dwarf puffers like their tanks fairly heavily planted.

For food, make sure you give them small snails a couple time a month, it keep their beaks trimmed. They will also rarely eat flake food, so make sure you give them live and/or frozen foods.

Check this web site out: Dwarf Puffers : Home

Post pics!

Dwarf puffers need at least 5 gallons of water. I'd use anubias or crypts as plants.

Sorry if I posted the wrong thing. It's that kit but the 8 gallon version.

And Ive been doing lots of research :) 50%WC every week. Blood worms and pest snails as food. Make sure to treat for internal parasites I there's any chance they have them :)

But would that light be okay? Or would I be better off buying everything separate? As for planting I thought that was mainly for agression if you have more than 1 but I don't mind having it heavily planted :)

But would that light be okay? Or would I be better off buying everything separate? As for planting I thought that was mainly for agression if you have more than 1 but I don't mind having it heavily planted :)

8 gallons is great! :) In their natural habitat, there are lots of plants anyways, but plants do help with aggression.

I am not sure of the light, but you can just do low light plants :D There are tons, just look them up. You can also add a Co2 diffuser if you want.

Buy the kit, it is usually cheaper than buying everything separate, unless you want specific things (y)

Scottyhorse said:
8 gallons is great! :) In their natural habitat, there are lots of plants anyways, but plants do help with aggression.

I am not sure of the light, but you can just do low light plants :D There are tons, just look them up. You can also add a Co2 diffuser if you want.

Buy the kit, it is usually cheaper than buying everything separate, unless you want specific things (y)

Thanks :) I'll buy it hopefully in the next week and post some pics :) I also gotta find somewhere to get the dwarf puffer because no stores near me have any and online, the shipping is 3x more than the fish.

IMO you can build a better tank.

10g tank $10
nano heater $15
Nano filter $15
Light is also to your liking = strong lights for high light plants or the other end of the spectrum low light for slow growing plants. Probably less than $50.

All of these items would be good quility stuff as well. The kits are usually for beginners and the equipment are not as good.

I read the kit you like has wet/dry filter, so you can rule out using co2 for it. Also im not sure how strong the light would be.

khji, I agree with Terrance, but I think you will be fine with the kit. Just make sure to buy a liquid test kit! :D

Okay. The main thing is idk what light I Wouk get? I'd build my own but I need help finding a light that would work. I just want hardy low light plants. And would rather not deal with co2 if possible.

No, im saying I'd buy all the separate pieces but idk what light I would get.

And don't know all that much about freshwater do I need like a power head? Cause I don't wanna use airstones and jeep replacing them.

No powerheads are needed. Just a simple filter for a low light tank. Any lighting is fine for low light plants. Get around 10watt of fluorescent lighting with as close to 6700k spectrum. A lot of the planted nano tank includes decent lighting for low light plants. I like the fluval ebi kits.

So if I got:

5gal tank
Filter
Heater
Thermometer
Test kits of course
And some sort of cheap LED strip from Petco

I'd be good on equipment for lowlight plants?

I feel like I'm forgetting something... As far as filter, I heard it's better to not use filter cartridges and just put some sort of media that can be washed off into it?

Please let me know if I'm forgetting something or if you have an recomendations. I'm just trying to get a list together :)

Yeah get something with a media area to preserve the beneficial bacteria. Also I am not certain if led offers good lighting for nano tanks. They dont offer as wide color spectrum, but only a certain light spectrum.

You will have to research this topic and the market for nano light.

Other than that, freshwater systems are pretty simple when you are not dealing with the stronger lighted plants.

Okay sweet. Can anyone recommend me a light that would work for low light plants? Preferably something I can pick up at petco and is under 50$? I'm terrible when it comes to lights. I know nothing about them. :eek: haha

So I'm thinking of going into petco today to check some stuff out. and also get some snails to start breeding in my 2 gallon. What snails would you recommend to breed to feed to DP's?

Back
Top Bottom