Dwarf Puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Markstanfill

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I hear these guys eat snails. I need a snail population controller (Dont want a loach or assassins). My nerites would be too big for one of them to eat, and the smaller renagade snails need to die. So if anyone has kept these little guys, how will a puffer get along in a 56g densely planted tank with this stocklist:

10 Neon Tetra
5 Otocinculus
6 Rasbora Espei
6 Blue tetra
6 Amano Shrimp
3 SAE
3 Nerites
1 Sunburst Platty
1 Rubberlip Pleco

The menu is frozen bloodworms, spirinula flakes, algae wafers, and live daphnia.

The dwarf puffer will try to eat your larger snails (suck them out of their shells) and there is a huge possibility they will nip your other fish. I don't think it would be a great idea. Puffers of any kind aren't really considered community fish, you would be taking a huge risk.

No offense but I have had the opposite experiences with dwarf puffers. Because of their size they are easily intimidated and the busier the tank the better to curb any aggression. I've had dwarf puffers literally scared in corners because there was too much activity, from fancy guppies no less. I think you'll be fine with a single puffer, or more, and if anything worth a shot :)

I keep dwarf puffers and I keep them in a species only tank. I am not worried they will eat the other fish but they are small and skittish, and I don't feel it is fair to put them into a situation where they will be constantly harrassed and frightened. JMO

Not saying my tank or my puffers behaviour is typical in any way.

I have a 15g tank. I loaded it with tank water from a separate tank during water change day, then put a platy in to provide ammonia to keep the tank cycled. About a week later, I got my figure 8 puffer, and put him in, figuring he'd probably eat my platy. No such luck. In time, that platy has given birth at least 2 times, none of the babies got eaten. I put a ghost shrimp in the tank for the puffer to munch on. He ate it about 3 months later. I currently have him in the tank with about 6 platys, no problems concerning fin nipping or aggression have ever been seen.

Back
Top Bottom