Dwarf Puffers Sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captotterboy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I had my puffers for about a week. They were happy, healthy, and eating.

Starting yesterday, one of the new puffers was acting very lethargic. Just sitting on a leaf and barely moving. Now all three are doing it. They are not reacting much to anything near them.

Heard of this before? Anything I can do?

I did a water test
PH 7.9 (a little high, I know)
Less than .25ppm Ammonia
No Nirtire
about 10ppm Nitrate

Your parameters look right (they are a higher pH fish) but your temp may be a little low. I shoot for around 78 though I read quite a bit that says they prefer 80°. Are you adding anything else into the aquarium? I do supplement with Seachem Fresh Trace as I've reading that mineral concentration is important. Any change in their behavior? How is their coloring?
In my experience, and I stress I consider myself a beginner at keeping them, they are active on first being introduced, establishing territory and such and then become more shy taking several weeks to acclimate. The ones I've had would not eat for the first week.

I use Seachem Prime whenever I add new water. I have also started using metroplex to treat the water and garlicguard to try and get them to eat.
Behavior the same. Color looks fine. One is very very thin

Ah. Getting them to eat is definitely an issue I've had. I've tried all manner of frozen foods using both Seachem Garlic Guard, and Entice. All with out success. I asked the LFS for their pest snails to begin with and finally found some maylasian snails for purchase on aquabid (because of their shells, they have to be crushed first). My plan now is to soak the snails in the garlic guard for a while and hope my puffers will learn to attach the scent/taste with food so that I can gradually get them to accept food that is a) more readily available b) keeps me from having to crush snails.... I'm keeping my fingers crossed I'll get them at accept frozen blood worms eventually.

Back
Top Bottom