Dying amazon sword, how to care for

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Macros are potassium, nitrate,and phosphate. The things that plants use large quantities of. Micros are iron,boron and other trace elements that are needed in small amounts.

Ok, I'll be sure to get those. I hope my plants recovers :/

I've had it for maybe a month, but it was one of those that was already grown and in a plastic tube with the gel stuff.

That's why its doing that.. The plant is basically switching from submersed leaves to submerged leaves... All of my swords did this... Just clip off the really bad leaves that have holes in them, that are yellow ect. and put a root tab under its roots.

Itll be fine

That's why its doing that.. The plant is basically switching from submersed leaves to submerged leaves... All of my swords did this... Just clip off the really bad leaves that have holes in them, that are yellow ect. and put a root tab under its roots.

Itll be fine

I thought about this and then looked carefully at my plant, new, little bright green leaves are coming up!

Swords take awhile to acclimate and grow from what I have observed. My swords I got from those tubes your talking about took like 2 months before the leaves stopped dying and started growing... Now they are starting to grow taller as well they are double the size and I don't even use root tabs for them.

Oh and don't vacuum the gravel around the plant as root feeders like this plant use all the fish poop and old food as food for themselves

Swords take awhile to acclimate and grow from what I have observed. My swords I got from those tubes your talking about took like 2 months before the leaves stopped dying and started growing... Now they are starting to grow taller as well they are double the size and I don't even use root tabs for them.

Oh and don't vacuum the gravel around the plant as root feeders like this plant use all the fish poop and old food as food for themselves

Good advice. Thanks!

Will the carbon in my filter affect the liquid ferts performance?

Yes.. Carbon will remove some minerals from the water... At least that's what I heard.. I was told if you use liquid ferts with carbon in the tank your basically throwing money down the drain... That's why I removed all carbon from my 3 main tanks with plants. If you want clear water get Seachem Purigen.. It does a better Job and its renewable unlimited amount of times and doesn't remove ferts so they claim and so people say. They sell little pouches for 50G tank in petco.. At least my petco does.. I got 2 for my 55G because of the major tannins I have..

Btw where in Virginia do you live ? I live in woodbridge va

Yes.. Carbon will remove some minerals from the water... At least that's what I heard.. I was told if you use liquid ferts with carbon in the tank your basically throwing money down the drain... That's why I removed all carbon from my 3 main tanks with plants. If you want clear water get Seachem Purigen.. It does a better Job and its renewable unlimited amount of times and doesn't remove ferts so they claim and so people say. They sell little pouches for 50G tank in petco.. At least my petco does.. I got 2 for my 55G because of the major tannins I have..

Purigen is what I use in my 75 gallon planted but it does lose roughly 10% capacity each time you regenerate.

You sure ? I haven't noticed in mine... mine get dark brown so fast because of the amount of tannins in it I have to regen both packs every 3 days

You sure ? I haven't noticed in mine... mine get dark brown so fast because of the amount of tannins in it I have to regen both packs every 3 days

It's not that it absorbs any less efficiently . It just starts to become exhausted more quickly. The beads will still turn white when regenerated it just starts to get annoying when you are regenerating it every week.

Ok, I'll take my carbon out, and if needed I'll get some purigen.

Sorry, but I'd rather not post my exact location on the public Internet.

I was reading up on required plant nutrients and types of ferts and realized that I might have made a mistake in my fert choice today. I bought a bottle of Aqueon plant food stating that it had macronutrients AND micronutrients. When I picked it out I thought this would be a good thing, but I may have thought wrong. I know now that micronutrients aren't used very rapidly, while macronutrients are. Would I be overdosing with micronutrients by using this combination? I wish I would have known and gotten some Seachem Flourish and Flourish Trace Elements so I could dose separately. Is it ok to keep using the stuff I have? I would just return it but I've already opened it :/.

I was reading up on required plant nutrients and types of ferts and realized that I might have made a mistake in my fert choice today. I bought a bottle of Aqueon plant food stating that it had macronutrients AND micronutrients. When I picked it out I thought this would be a good thing, but I may have thought wrong. I know now that micronutrients aren't used very rapidly, while macronutrients are. Would I be overdosing with micronutrients by using this combination? I wish I would have known and gotten some Seachem Flourish and Flourish Trace Elements so I could dose separately. Is it ok to keep using the stuff I have? I would just return it but I've already opened it :/.

The only macro in aqueon plant food is potassium. It also says its 98.5% water.

Then I might as well throw out what I have and use Flourish and Flourish excel

You can still use it. I'm pretty sure flourish comp doesn't have nitrates of phosphates either so your still good.

You can still use it. I'm pretty sure flourish comp doesn't have nitrates of phosphates either so your still good.

Ok, I'll just use what I have and my API root tabs until it runs out then I'll get Flourish and Flourish Trace Elements.

Ok, I'll just use what I have and my API root tabs until it runs out then I'll get Flourish and Flourish Trace Elements.

If your running standard aquarium lighting what you have will probably work by itself just check your nitrate and phosphate levels with a liquid test kit. Low tech tank usually don't use them up as quickly.sorry I forgot what your lighting was I'm used to high light :-(

If your running standard aquarium lighting what you have will probably work by itself just check your nitrate and phosphate levels with a liquid test kit. Low tech tank usually don't use them up as quickly.sorry I forgot what your lighting was I'm used to high light :-(

Ok, I don't have a test kit yet, I'll ask for it for Christmas.

No worries about the lighting ;)

Back
Top Bottom