Dying anubias and java fern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cornstar

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought a few java fern and anubias lately because I heard they were easy to care and required not a lot of light. I also heard fish did not like to eat them.

However my kribensis fry seem to love to munch on it. Half of my anubias lost their leaves. My java fern also seems to be somewhat dying.

I am currently using a fishneedit lights for my 55g tank. I have an actinic light and a 54w 6700k light. I leave it on for about 8 hours a day.

I attach them to rocks and driftwood and ensure the roots are above the substrate.

I do not dose any CO2 and would like to know if it is mandatory or necessary.

All I have are Java Ferns and Anubias in my 46 gallon and they are doing fine. My fish do not bother them other than an occasional nibble! To me it's nearly impossible to kill these plants. The Java Ferns should be planted in your substrate as they have tiny brown roots. The Anubias should be planted on your driftwod with the rizome exposed. Tie it with thread or weigh it down to the wood with a bead. Do not bury the rizome as it will rot if buried and eventually kill the plant. Also, I do not use CO2 and do not think it is necessary as these plants require little light and are the hardiest plants I have found.

I just planted my java fern. What do you mean by weighing it down with a bead? What is a good way to attach the rhizomes to wood/rocks? I tried to krazy glue it but it ended being detached.

By weighing it down, I mean placing a small bead or similar object on top of the plants root system to hold the plant in place and keep it from floating. Once the plant rooots itself in place you can remove the bead!

A good way to attach the Rhizome to wood/rocks is to tie the rhizome to the wood/rock using brown sewing thread. The thread will deteoriate by itself over time. By that time the plant will have rooted itself.

I just planted my java fern. What do you mean by weighing it down with a bead? What is a good way to attach the rhizomes to wood/rocks? I tried to krazy glue it but it ended being detached.

Planting the java fern may be the reason why it isn't doing well, especially if the rhizome is under the substrate.

Like gmanova said, I have my java fern attached to a piece of driftwood by loosely tying 3 pieces of brown sewing thread around the rhizome (the two ends and the middle) and it is doing fantastic. It's very easy to tie as well, although I recommend doing it out of the water to save yourself the headache of underwater tying :lol:

Eleven13 said:
Planting the java fern may be the reason why it isn't doing well, especially if the rhizome is under the substrate.

Like gmanova said, I have my java fern attached to a piece of driftwood by loosely tying 3 pieces of brown sewing thread around the rhizome (the two ends and the middle) and it is doing fantastic. It's very easy to tie as well, although I recommend doing it out of the water to save yourself the headache of underwater tying :lol:

I planted them in the substrate like gmanova said, but I was not aware of leaving the rhizomes out. I will fix it as soon as I get home!

gmanova said:
All I have are Java Ferns and Anubias in my 46 gallon and they are doing fine. My fish do not bother them other than an occasional nibble! To me it's nearly impossible to kill these plants. The Java Ferns should be planted in your substrate as they have tiny brown roots. The Anubias should be planted on your driftwod with the rizome exposed. Tie it with thread or weigh it down to the wood with a bead. Do not bury the rizome as it will rot if buried and eventually kill the plant. Also, I do not use CO2 and do not think it is necessary as these plants require little light and are the hardiest plants I have found.

Java Ferns can be tied to rocks, wood etc just like Anubias. Or both can have just roots planted with rhizomes exposed.

I would add a liquid Fert. You can try liquid Carbon as well.

I have
Reg Java Fern
Narrow Leaf Java Fern (current favorite)
Windelov Java Fern

Anubias Regular
A nana petite
A coffeefolia

You can see one of my Anubias flowering in my rimless 10g pics on my profile.

Back
Top Bottom