Dying anubias nana?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lokkzer

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have it wedged into a crevice on this piece of driftwood. I got it from craigslist. I've ordered other plants from craigslist and they are healthy. I am currently fishless cycling. In the second stage. Dosing ammo to 3-4. Nitrites are +5ppm. Nitrates 80ppm. I use seachem prime. It s a heavy planted 37g. Currently 82* to cycle. Power compact 36" 2x55W lights. One white one baby blue (actinic?). Dosing with pure ace hardware ammonia. I think that's everything.
Hope this picture is ok enough.

Attachments

• image-1363441159.jpg
    image-1363441159.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 102
Actinic bulbs don't do much for plants. So u have 1.48~ WPG.

R u dosing any ferts?
Is the rhizome of the plant out of the drift wood?
Also IMO u should cut the dead/dying leaves off.

Never mind. Just that leaf was dying. The rest is riddled with brown algae or diatoms? Does anyone know which? And if it's algae which fish will clean the plants?

Brown algae and diatoms are the same things. Brown algae is actually a misnomer as it is actually not an algae at all. How long has your tank been setup? Diatoms are very common in newer tanks (less than 6 months old), and will often go away with time. If you are impatient (like me), you can either gently rub it off the leaves, or you could get a few oto catfish, a bristlenose pleco, or a nerite snail.

Yeah it's in it's first two weeks, currently fishless cycling. I would like to get like 3 otos, but I thought I had to wait to get them until algae has built up. Does this qualify or will they chow through this and then be starved? Its a heavily planted 37 gallon.

Anubias Nana tends to grow so slowly that it is prone to build-up of algae or diatoms or just general debris that happens to land on it. A better sign of growth in anubias nana on driftwood is to watch the roots branch out across the wood. If there aren't a lot of new roots fanning out across the wood - then it may be in trouble.

Also - because you're still in the ammonia phase of the cycle - there aren't any nitrates for the plants to consume unless you dose them with artificial fertilizers.

As for otos, you won't have enough algae to keep otos self-sustained unless you've got a seriously incorrect water parameter or a ton of light and no CO2. If you can look at the leaf and not see the algae actually sticking up off the leaf - then there is probably nothing for an oto to eat and you would need algae wafers.

I do have nitrates though. I'm in the getting the trItes down. I am also using root tabs and dosing with API plant food. The roots actually are growing and the plant is green. I just rubbed off the brown spots. But it's not a mound of algae yet. So I was going to get amano shrimp when I finish cycling.

Back
Top Bottom