dying anubias plant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duydawg

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
In my 10 gallon tank ( It's going through its Fishless Cycle, near completion) I have amazon swords, Java moss, anubias, and wisteria.

One of my anubias started to turn yellow-brown, and im assuming its dying. I might have buried the roots or did something wrong so that its dying. The other plants are doing very well at the moment. my question is if I leave the dying anubias in the 10 gallon aquarium, will it cause problems for future fish? water chemistry?

The decaying leaves will produce nitrates. What I did with mine was I trimmed off those dying leaves and I took it out of the substrate, this was before i was informed about not burring the rhizome. I took it out of the substrate and tied it to a rock, the plant is doing great now.

Without seeing pictures of the plant it's hard to say for sure what is wrong with it. As mentioned above anubia's do best when attached to DW or even a rock and the rhizome must be kept above the substrate or it will rot and kill the plant. Also if you have the anubia in very brightly lite spot their leaves can actually burn and they will slowly turn yellow/brown and melt/die. If it's in a non shaded spot in your tank remove the leaves by pulling them off of the rhizome (it better than cutting as it removes the entire leaf and stem cleanly) then moving the plant to a shaded position. Regardless if you act now you could save the plant.

Back
Top Bottom