Dying Ghost Shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goodeyesniper

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all, in the past two days I've lost two ghost shrimp and two of my others aren't looking too healthy either.
I haven't really changed much to my tank aside from adding real plants. I dose CO2 each day and I use API LeafZone once a week with my PWCs. Is the LeafZone causing them to die off or could it just be age? I've had them for a while and I know they don't live particularly long.

Thanks!

Shrimp are pretty sensitive to ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates, did you have a spike for any reason?

How are the shrimp looking ? Are the dying ones cloudy before you find them dead?

Are you over feeding? Do you have a planted tank? Do you see Hydras? How old were they approximately?

How are the shrimp looking ? Are the dying ones cloudy before you find them dead?

Are you over feeding? Do you have a planted tank? Do you see Hydras? How old were they approximately?

They're looking a little waxier than usual, and one has a kind of brownish tint to it.

I don't specifically feed the shrimp, I usually let them pick at the food that the other fish don't get. Whenever I try to drop an algae wafer in the tank, all the fish go for it and the shrimp end up attacking the ones who eat it.

I do have a relatively newly planted tank, I don't know what a hydra is, and they were probably at least 6 months old when I got them.

It's not the leaf zone. I've done separate research on that.

Could you share your exact readings please?

Are you sure they're not just molting? They're actually dying?

Your params seem fine. If someone should ask your readings, in the future, please provide the higher end of the test results. In other words, your reading is 5, not 0, for nitrates.

LyndaB said:
Are you sure they're not just molting? They're actually dying?

Your params seem fine. If someone should ask your readings, in the future, please provide the higher end of the test results. In other words, your reading is 5, not 0, for nitrates.

Usually when mine molt their shells are very clear and only half of the shell, but these past two have been very milky white and full body

Usually before one of my ghost shrimp would die they would turn milky white. Then I knew they wouldn't last much longer.

That's a bacterial infection. It infects, spreads and kills all ghost shrimp.

I don't agree with that. That has never happened to me. It's usually just the color a shrimp will turn before he dies, in my case. I've only had one shrimp die at a time, two max. All turning cloudy white beforehand. My tank has approximately 10 other shrimp and none other were affected.

okapizebra said:
I don't agree with that. That has never happened to me. It's usually just the color a shrimp will turn before he dies, in my case. I've only had one shrimp die at a time, two max. All turning cloudy white beforehand. My tank has approximately 10 other shrimp and none other were affected.

It really depends on how far before a shrimp dies.

You're right if it's a few hours, but if it's like a day or so before, the shrimp are probably suffering from what I described.

I've never heard of that before. What's the bacteria called? And where can they catch it from?

okapizebra said:
I've never heard of that before. What's the bacteria called? And where can they catch it from?

To be honest, I've never read the sickness' name. I've read about it, I'm pretty sure I've had it wipe out my stock. I wish I could give you more info on it. Once one contracts it from either bad water quality or bad stock, it spreads like bacteria does.

goodeyesniper said:
Would it be caused by not pruning dead leaves off of my plants fast enough?

I personally leave many of mine in. Most of mine. I don't feed my tank, and my ramshorns and shrimp just devour them on their own time. Yes, it will turn into ammonia over time, but not unless there are A LOT. Without anything eating them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom