Dying Ryukin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stb

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I am new to this website. I have a very small fish tank with two fish in it. Both of them are Ryukins; one is about 1 inch and the other is about 4 inches long. The fish are very beautiful, but I am sure that the 4 inch one s dying. I fear that my extreme ignorance has caused it to be so sick. The fish was given to me because its owner no longer wanted it.. I think she said it was too agressive. I have never found that to be true. However, I believe that out of ignorance, as to the needs of Ryukins, I have overfed it and it is succumbing to ammonia and nitrate issues.

The fish has no apparent slime, tail rot or fungus. However, it can no longer swim or float. Recently,I have read a great deal and beleive that everything that I could have done wrong, I did. I am devasted by the fish's suffering for three days. In an effort to save its life, Iihave delved into research on what I might to to save him. He/she is bad. As a result of my reading, I have changed 50% of the water each day for several days. I have put in qiuick start in order to make these needed daily water changes. I also have put in a stress reliever liquid. The fish has not eaten in three days, breathes rather heavily and cannot come off the bottom of the tank. I am sure the ammonia/nitrates are gone now. Is it possible the fish has swim bladderr disease? Is the effort to save is life truly hopeless? I do not think it has much more to go. HELP, please. I so regret not have known more about its needs.

For you to get good help on here you will need to post about the following:
Size of tank
Water readings (with a test kit)
How often you perform water changes
Filtration

Without testing your water you will not know of te ammonia has gone, plus from reading on here goldfish are big poopers and create a lot of waste so need large tanks.

Hopefully someone will be able to help you out, if your able to post a pic too then that would be helpful

Back
Top Bottom