Easiest carpet plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Glosso Is a pita, you'd be better with dwarf baby tears. It can carpet with med light, takes a bit to root it nicely. For co2 consider a aquatek mini with paintball tank. Thise fluval kits are more trouble than they're worth.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Dwarf Baby Tears FTW!

Thanks for the input on the Fluval mini kits, i just know their an option, never used one.

Dwarf Baby Tears FTW!

Thanks for the input on the Fluval mini kits, i just know their an option, never used one.

I tried, they require the use of a co2 ladder which is the size of a soda can, not in my tank, impossible to maintain a steady bubble count via diffuser. I'd never use anything without an electric solenoid.

I tried, they require the use of a co2 ladder which is the size of a soda can, not in my tank, impossible to maintain a steady bubble count via diffuser. I'd never use anything without an electric solenoid.

I agree. The solenoid is great. Im going to have my lights and co2 on the same timer so they go on and off with each other. Any recommendations for a diffuser? Ive seen a bunch. Does it matter which kind?

I agree. The solenoid is great. Im going to have my lights and co2 on the same timer so they go on and off with each other. Any recommendations for a diffuser? Ive seen a bunch. Does it matter which kind?

Usually is best to have co2 on an hour before lights and off an hour before lights off. I use a fluval ceramic diffuser and inline reactors. Reactors are sickkkk..

Glosso Is a pita, you'd be better with dwarf baby tears. It can carpet with med light, takes a bit to root it nicely. For co2 consider a aquatek mini with paintball tank. Thise fluval kits are more trouble than they're worth.

What's a pita? And I would love to do dbt but I didn't think they would work in my tank.. I'm still a beginner to planted tanks.. And where can you get the co2 system your taking about?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Usually is best to have co2 on an hour before lights and off an hour before lights off. I use a fluval ceramic diffuser and inline reactors. Reactors are sickkkk..

Say no more! Reactor it is! Do you think one is enough for a 55 gal?

I'm so confused with all this info ??? so what is the best co2 system to get for a 10 gallon?

I'm so confused with all this info ??? so what is the best co2 system to get for a 10 gallon?

Find a CO2 regulator that works with paintball tanks. All youd need then is to fill said tank, hook it to regulator. Hook regulator to bubble counter and diffuser and start pumping co2.

Which regulated is best? Also where can I get the paintball things and where do I get them refilled (if I do refill it not buy another)? Also how many bps? And when should I run the co2? Where do I get a bubble counter and diffuser and which ones are best? Ahh so much stuff!!

Find a CO2 regulator that works with paintball tanks. All youd need then is to fill said tank, hook it to regulator. Hook regulator to bubble counter and diffuser and start pumping co2.

Time for you to start a tank build thread my man!

Which regulated is best? Also where can I get the paintball things and where do I get them refilled (if I do refill it not buy another)? Also how many bps? And when should I run the co2? Where do I get a bubble counter and diffuser and which ones are best? Ahh so much stuff!!

Not sure which is "best" thats up to everyones opinion. Ive seen this one before although never used it.

You can get the paintball tanks at Dicks, Sports Authority, basically any large sports retailer, they can filled them there as well. You can also get CO2 filled at any welding shop. General BPS is 1-2, depending on light and tank size, as well as how many plants you have in the tank. You should run the CO2 an hour before the light go on, and it should shut off an hour before the lights go off. (per Brookster) Bubble counters are everywhere, I generally follow the reviews online. Reactor diffusers are best, fluval isnt bad either. Hope that answers all your questions! :banghead:;)

Alright looks like I need to do some saving (hah I'm 14, I got the money for it, but I don't want to spend money I've saved for the car I'll need in 1 1/2 yrs...) I get to my research now!

Alright looks like I need to do some saving (hah I'm 14, I got the money for it, but I don't want to spend money I've saved for the car I'll need in 1 1/2 yrs...) I get to my research now!

Yea its alot. Ive been talking about a bunch of things with Brookster and everytime he sends me a message the cost of my aquarium goes up lol.

Haha nice! It's sure adding up though!

I will gladly spend your money as I've spent my own. If I can offer anything it's how not to waste money on crap aquarium products.. my bone yard is $1k.. no joke..

OP - You could try out DIY if you don't mind mixing up the solution once a week. It's inexpensive for sure. I ran a two bottle setup for about a year and got good results. No carpet plants unless you count star repens.
I started using pressurized last April and my setup was less than $200. AquaTek premium regulator, paintball adaptor, 24 oz PB tank, bubble counter, check valve, CO2 tubing, cheap glass diffuser, drop checker. This is on a 20g long, running a high bps (4-5+) for about 8 hours. Refills cost less than $5 and last about 4.5 months.

Two of the easiest carpeting plants I've tried are micranthemum 'Monte Carlo' and ranalisma rostrata. Both do fine in medium light with appropriate co2 and ferts. Once established they grow very quickly. If this is your first time with carpeting plants I'd recommend trying one of those, although there's nothing wrong with HC, dwarf hair grass, glosso, MM (slowww growth) and several of the other carpet plants too except some might have a slightly higher learning curve.

I'd also second the Aquatek mini paintball regulator too.

Regulator + co2 tubing and bubble counter: ~$90
Drop checker + 4dkh solution: ~$10
Co2 diffuser: ~$5
Paintball canister: ~$20
Paintball canister fill: ~$3
Total: ~$130

Two of the easiest carpeting plants I've tried are micranthemum 'Monte Carlo' and ranalisma rostrata. Both do fine in medium light with appropriate co2 and ferts. Once established they grow very quickly. If this is your first time with carpeting plants I'd recommend trying one of those, although there's nothing wrong with HC, dwarf hair grass, glosso, MM (slowww growth) and several of the other carpet plants too except some might have a slightly higher learning curve.

I'd also second the Aquatek mini paintball regulator too.

Regulator + co2 tubing and bubble counter: ~$90
Drop checker + 4dkh solution: ~$10
Co2 diffuser: ~$5
Paintball canister: ~$20
Paintball canister fill: ~$3
Total: ~$130

I may have to look into this. Sounds cheaper than a large co2 setup. Would this work on a 55g ?

In Soviet Russia iPhone You!!

For anything more than 29g I'd prob just go with a regular size regulator like the one Fresh has, that way you could just get a 5# or 10# tank that doesn't need to be refilled as often.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom