Easiest fish to breed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

petkeeper

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got a 30g tank and I was wonting to make it a breeding tank but I don't know what the easiest fish to breed are and how to set the tank up for them.

i like breeding angel fish. i get new eggs every 15 days from 2 pair that i have . to me they are verry easy to breed and raise. pm me if u decide to breed them

You could start breeding live bearers (platy,molly,guppy,endlers,and swordtails.) they are pretty easy. Also could do convict cichlids or Honduras red points.

Maxkolbe said:
+1 for live bearers. The hard part is to get them to STOP breeding once you're out of tanks.

Heard that lol, thought that it would be cool to breed guppies, also thought I could do it in one big tank. Needless to say four months later I have a tank for my females, a tank for my males, and a nursery for my fry. Guppies are there only thing that I've bred, they are a cool little fish though very easy to breed them.

I have already bred guppies before and I have a pregnant swordtail that's almost ready to pop soon.

I just got a 30g tank and I was wonting to make it a breeding tank but I don't know what the easiest fish to breed are and how to set the tank up for them.

By far the easiest fish to breed are any of the livebearers (guppies, platys, mollies and swordtails.) In fact, if you do nothing but put a male and female together, they will breed pretty much as long as you have water in the tank and you stay out of the way.
If you are looking for easier egglayers to breed, Angels are easy, as well as some Barbs, Tetras and other cichlids. Historically, the easiest fish to spawn has been the zebra danio. However, you'll need more than one tank to breed these as the sexes should be seperated to prepare for spawning.

If you are only going to keep only the one tank for your fish, you'd be better off keeping some livebearers. The other fish mentioned need more tanks for the fish to grow out away from the parents.

If you'd like more help with breeding most any kind of fish, feel free to PM me. I spent over 20 years as a commercial fish breeder ;) I'm pretty sure I can help you :D

Hope this helps (y)

I definitely think that Malawi Mbuna Cichlids are worth a try. They may be recommended for a larger tank but if you stay with a species like Cynotilapia Afra they stay fairly small (3 inches). Albiet they are aggressive so it would require rocks but other than their basic requirements they will breed quite readily.
They are also mouthbrooders so by the time they are ready to release the fry, the fry are swimming about and ready to devour crushed flake and many other types of food. All that I do is put the mother in a breeding net after she has had the eggs in her mouth for about a week and a half- two weeks and by three weeks she either releases or I open her mouth and remove the fry from her and put her back into the tank. If you got the timing better I'm sure you could improve on this but I find that she deserves a rest anyways from the attentions of the male.
I would recommend 1 male and 2-3 females.
These fish are great because they are fairly small and very colorful cichlids.

I was wondering if someone could confirm that this would be good for a 30 gallon so long as they keep it as a breeding set up. I am fairly sure that it would work well but then again they generally recommend 55 gallons for most of these fish.

Another type that I would recommend is the Krib, (Kribensis/ Pelvicachromis Pulcher) which is very colorful and apparently very easy to breed and good parents.

For what it's worth...

I definitely think that Malawi Mbuna Cichlids are worth a try. They may be recommended for a larger tank but if you stay with a species like Cynotilapia Afra they stay fairly small (3 inches). Albiet they are aggressive so it would require rocks but other than their basic requirements they will breed quite readily.
They are also mouthbrooders so by the time they are ready to release the fry, the fry are swimming about and ready to devour crushed flake and many other types of food. All that I do is put the mother in a breeding net after she has had the eggs in her mouth for about a week and a half- two weeks and by three weeks she either releases or I open her mouth and remove the fry from her and put her back into the tank. If you got the timing better I'm sure you could improve on this but I find that she deserves a rest anyways from the attentions of the male.
I would recommend 1 male and 2-3 females.
These fish are great because they are fairly small and very colorful cichlids.

I was wondering if someone could confirm that this would be good for a 30 gallon so long as they keep it as a breeding set up. I am fairly sure that it would work well but then again they generally recommend 55 gallons for most of these fish.

Another type that I would recommend is the Krib, (Kribensis/ Pelvicachromis Pulcher) which is very colorful and apparently very easy to breed and good parents.

I have a friend who has been breeding fish for a long time who also just uses 10 gal tanks to put his mouthbrooders in to when they are holding eggs so the 30 would work if the fish the OP uses remain small.
As for Kribs, I never needed any tank larger than a 10 gal to breed them. Krib fry would also be better off growing out without the parents there. Kribs will also stop breeding in the presence of the fry. So it all depends on the OP's breeding goals. (y)

Andy Sager said:
I have a friend who has been breeding fish for a long time who also just uses 10 gal tanks to put his mouthbrooders in to when they are holding eggs so the 30 would work if the fish the OP uses remain small.
As for Kribs, I never needed any tank larger than a 10 gal to breed them. Krib fry would also be better off growing out without the parents there. Kribs will also stop breeding in the presence of the fry. So it all depends on the OP's breeding goals. (y)

Do the kribs need any special treatment ? :)

Not in my opinion....

Do the kribs need any special treatment ? :)

This was my Krib setup:
  1. Tank (10 Gal-no gravel)
  2. Heater
  3. Sponge filter
  4. Water ( PH 7.0 Temp 80 degrees)
  5. Glass lid (to prevent jumping)
  6. Inverted Clay flower pot with notch big enough for the fish to get into the pot
  7. PRIVACY
THAT'S IT! :D
The key was that since there wasn't a lot of hiding spots, they were put in a back corner of the breeding room so that they had plenty of privacy. My tank racks were such that I could see up the tank from below so I could check the inside of the pot with a flashlightfor spawns. Spawning occured usually about 10-14 days after introduction.
Once the fry hatched, the pair was removed from the tank to keep them from eating the fry. The fry need infusoria as soon as the become free swimming which was why we used bare tanks. It was easier to see if the fish were eating and easier to clean up any uneaten food to keep the water clean.

Hope this answers your question (y)

Back
Top Bottom