easiest way to move and switch tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JOMA

Aquarium Advice Addict
tomorrow i am replacing my old 20 gallon long tank (its almost 20 years old) and i am also moving where the tank is going to be. what would the easiest way of doing this be? step by step would be great. (im only moving the tank to the other side of a dresser, the tank is on its own stand)
the new tank will be going onto a different shelf

thanks
joma

Setup the new tank on the stand, start moving the water over. When you are about halfway done then move the fish. When it is full thend, move the filter over. If you are using the same substrate vacuum it very well at least once (twice is better) before the switch. I would move the substrate first.

so the old stand just new tank. what i would do is get two buckets or rubermade tubs. put the fish in the one substrate in the other. remove the tank move the stand put the new one up add substrate back in filter heater when the temp is the same put the fish back in. super easy.

the thing is i have to move the dresser over where the tank was and put the new shelf where it is now, what makes it even more complicated is that there is a 10 gallon tank on the dresser

yeah, ive got a plan now... im the man with the plan lol

Joma. How about those crows. Love #52 but who doesn't. I'm going to be upgrading from a 30g to a 50/55g soon. I'm also trying to figure out the switch since the new tank will be in the same spot as the old...in my living room. The tv is on the wall above the tank which tends to get more viewing than the tv. Good luck. Let me know how it works out.

We moved everything from a 55g to a 115g in about 4 hours

All the fish went into a rubbermaid tub with the heater and filter.
All the plants, DW and river rock decor into another tub.
All the gravel got rinsed as I drained the tank then scooped into buckets and dumped into the new tank.
Plants re-planted, DW and decor in place.
Tank filled using the python, Prime to dechlor.
Filter turned on, and running for an hour before starting the drip acclimation of the fish.
After an hour of drip acclimation we started moving the fish.

joma. How about those crows. Love #52 but who doesn't. I'm going to be upgrading from a 30g to a 50/55g soon. I'm also trying to figure out the switch since the new tank will be in the same spot as the old...in my living room. The tv is on the wall above the tank which tends to get more viewing than the tv. Good luck. Let me know how it works out.

what a win today!!!

heres my final set-up:

30472-albums1079-picture7655.jpg

30472-albums1079-picture7656.jpg

30472-albums1079-picture7657.jpg

here's what i did with my old 20 gallon lol:
30472-albums1079-picture7658.jpg

it's this new exotic breed of glow in the dark lizzard lol, actualy im convincing my parents :whip: to let me get gerbils (i replaced this tank because its old, about 20 years, and SCARES me)

-joma

its odd though, fish keep dying in my 10 gallon with good levels

Back
Top Bottom