Easiest way to switch aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raynman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been wanting to upgrade to a bigger aquarium, I've currently got a 200l and wanting a 350-400l but the process of moving everything to a new tank seems kind of daunting.

It's a tropical tank with 12 fish, running a canister filter. The tank I'm thinking of getting comes with a canister filter that I will use as my current one isn't quite big enough. The new tank will be going where my current tank is.

So what's the easiest/quickest way to move everything over to a new tank?

Edit: I won't be using my current substrate, new tank comes with pre used substrate.

Set everything up, run your old filter and your new filter alongside each other for a few weeks to give your new filter chance to build up some beneficial bacteria. After you remove the old filter move what filter media you can from the old filter to new filter as well.

Set everything up, run your old filter and your new filter alongside each other for a few weeks to give your new filter chance to build up some beneficial bacteria. After you remove the old filter move what filter media you can from the old filter to new filter as well.

Sorry I should have stated I was after a more detailed explanation. For instance what do I do with the fish during the process as I'm sure leaving them in the tank while emptiyng it and moving decorations will cause a large amount of stress and possible injure/kill them. Also do I use as much of my old water as possible in the new tank? Which would mean a great deal of buckets:lol:
Also what sort of time frame do I need to aim for so the filter isn't left not running?

I’d assume you don’t have another tank to temporarily home the fish during the process, so I’d say your next best bet is a large bucket filled with the tanks water to hold the fish while you transplant everything

Depending how fast you think you can accomplish this, I don’t think you need to get too worried about how everything is handled. Just try to keep anything your going to reuse, wet. If you allow the substrate and filter to dry out during the process the bacteria will start to die off rapidly. The water doesn’t have to be moving or anything, just keep them wet.

If the water quality is good, there’s no reason in my opinion not to put the old water in the new tank other than it can be a pain to store the water during the process. I wouldn’t go through that hassle, as there’s a marginal amount of bacteria in the water itself. It’s the substrate and filter that you want to keep intact as they are the biggest factor in trying to retain the cycle you’ve already established

I’d assume you don’t have another tank to temporarily home the fish during the process, so I’d say your next best bet is a large bucket filled with the tanks water to hold the fish while you transplant everything

Depending how fast you think you can accomplish this, I don’t think you need to get too worried about how everything is handled. Just try to keep anything your going to reuse, wet. If you allow the substrate and filter to dry out during the process the bacteria will start to die off rapidly. The water doesn’t have to be moving or anything, just keep them wet.

If the water quality is good, there’s no reason in my opinion not to put the old water in the new tank other than it can be a pain to store the water during the process. I wouldn’t go through that hassle, as there’s a marginal amount of bacteria in the water itself. It’s the substrate and filter that you want to keep intact as they are the biggest factor in trying to retain the cycle you’ve already established

Yeah I don't have another tank to out the fish in temporarily (I knew I should've keep my small back up tank)

Well you've made it sound easier than I had initially thought it would be.

Also I should've said the new tank also comes with substrate which I will be using and the tank I'm getting has been used before but I believe it isn't currently in use so there would be no bacteria present.

Oh yea that’ll make things a little simpler. So I assume you plan to reuse the substrate in the new tank then?

I’d suggest you clean it well, you never know what could be lingering in someone’s old substrate, even if it’s old and dry. I’d personally not try and reuse it, it’s cheap enough to buy new or just reuse the stuff you have. Not worth the risk on my opinion

If you are set on using the stuff that came with the tank. I would make sure it’s sterile and thoroughly rinsed and let it sit in some prime or other water conditioner to make sure it is clean and ready for the tank when you start doing the switcheroo

Yeah I'll reuse the substrate in the new tank, I don't have enough in my current tank to use it in the new tank.

I'll make sure to clean it as well as I can before using it but that probably won't be much more than a rinse if I'm honest. I'm not really set up to have both tanks sitting around unfortunately.

Thanks for the help

Back
Top Bottom