Easy carpeting plants & C02 systems?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RexDarr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone!
I'm trying a completely live plant tank. So far all my plants are doing swimmingly (sorry for the pun), except for a Monte Carlo. I realized now that it's probably not going to make it so I'm wondering what other carpeting plants I could add to my tank. I want something so if one of my fishies decide to breed the fry have a place to hide.
What kind of carpeting plants are easy to maintain and look really neat?

My other question pertains to CO2. I've never used a CO2 system in a tank. Could anyone please explain the setup and how it works? I've seen the little cartridges at my local pet store but never gave it much thought. Is it necessary for the plants?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1446744726057.jpg
    1446744726057.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 72
From my understanding which is fairly minimal being new to planted tank myself if you have some fish in there and a low/medium light setup you dont really need Co2.

Im sure others can be more helpful though i could be completely wrong.

Best of luck

CO2 can make plants grow faster. In Low/Medium Light set ups you can not use a Carbon Source or you can use a "liquid" Carbon such as Excel or Metricide 14 ( cheaper)

In a High Light set up, liquid carbon usually isn't enough. If you don't inject CO2 into your tank you will just grow an algae farm. The CO2 helps the plants outcompete the Algae as long as lights and Ferts are properly balanced.

So I typically recommend low light set ups for beginners so you can enjoy it without quite so much of a balancing act.

Lowlight does not mean the aquarium looks dim to the naked eye it just means there's not quite as many watts or PAR pouring into the tank.

Avoid the little cartridges they will cost you way too much in the long run !!

If you decide you want to go with injected CO2, look at getting a paintball set up it will be much cheaper to run and much more adjustable.

Or you can DIY a yeast CO2 or Citric Acid system for tanks up to 20 gallons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elatine Triandra can be grown in low light I think, and I got some in today. I'll tell you how it does.

Easy carpeting plants & C02 systems?

Do a moss carpet! I like riccia the best, but mini pellia also looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I hear riccia is tough because it doesn't actually attach to rocks or DW, but it does look very good.

You can grind up moss, with or without yogurt, and paint it onto gravel or rocks and do a DSM for about week. Then flood it and it attaches apparently. If you do do this be sure to research because I've only read a couple of articles.

I've had plenty of luck carpeting with dwarf sag.. Also look into some crypts.. They can get a little taller in low light set ups but are beautiful when established regardless

I hear riccia is tough because it doesn't actually attach to rocks or DW, but it does look very good.

You can grind up moss, with or without yogurt, and paint it onto gravel or rocks and do a DSM for about week. Then flood it and it attaches apparently. If you do do this be sure to research because I've only read a couple of articles.

Riccia has done great for me! I used craft mesh to make a carpet and sandwiched it between to pieces of mesh.

Back
Top Bottom