easy plant dwarf lily out of control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ibn219

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok bought plant bulb kit 3 little bulbs 1 big bulb. 1 little bulb sprouted barely but dwarf lily took off so i split it in 2. small half normal low foliage bigger half has 2 lily pads on surface and another on the way it takes like 2 days and they surface. Cool and all but at this rate its going to block all the light. If i cut a couple of them off will it hurt the plant. I know having plant is important and ive tried 3 other live plants none survive. I have alkaline water between 8-9 ph i had very hard water so i use bought filtered water and soft water from a friend for water changes but im slowly going back to hard water im told if i do that my neon can survive it and i can stop buying water. So what else can i grow in there with such hard water with high ph no co2 or fertilizer i have good uv light i believe its 750 lumins not the best but seems to grow plants not alge. Maybe java fern? Easy no maintenance any suggestions

Cutting all leaves off that are going to the surface will eventually stop the plants from sending them out. It will mostly grow leaves that will stay low to the plant. I have a beautiful red tiger lotus that rarely sends out surface leaves and when it does I cut them off as soon as they start going up.

As for water most fish and plants will adjust to your tap water. There is no need to buy water if your not doing special types of plants or fish. So yes, your fish will adjust, just don't make the change all at once. Slow cut back using your bought water so as not to ph shock your fish.

What kind of lights do you have T5's, T12's, or ??? Also what is their color rating 6700K, 10,000K, or just the stock light that came with the hood.

Plants like anubia, java fern, and java moss are easy plants.

Back
Top Bottom