easy plants for beginners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ginty

Aquarium Advice Freak
hi everyone. im having problems getting nitrates down. i cant afford to buy water each time do a water change.
i have a 28litre tank. i am upgrading in about a month. im getting a 60litre or hopefully bigger.
could you help decide what plant to get. one that is easy to keep and get my nitrate down.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Easy Plants

hi everyone. im having problems getting nitrates down. i cant afford to buy water each time do a water change.
i have a 28litre tank. i am upgrading in about a month. im getting a 60litre or hopefully bigger.
could you help decide what plant to get. one that is easy to keep and get my nitrate down.

Hello gin...

Hornwort and Anacharis are my choices for removing nitrates in the tank water. They're available at most pet stores for a couple of dollars a stem. Just drop them into the tank, they don't require planting in the substrate. Give them decent light and a little liquid fertilizer dosed according to the instructions, when you change the tank water.

Nitrates at a low level aren't harmful to your fish. 30 - 40 ppm is tolerable for most aquarium fish, but lower is better. Perform larger, more frequent water changes and the fish and plants will be fine.

B

Various types of Anubias are also really good, Nana being the most common. I have 2 in my tank now. Also Java fern and moss is good. There's another plant that I have, but can't remember the name of it... All I do is a low dose of liquid fert added in during a water change and they're all very bright and healthy.

Add - Pretty sure the other I have is an amazon sword. And a moss ball. Plants also get a good amount of indirect sunlight (in a south facing room with large window).

If you go to a pet store to get your plants, do a little research before buying. Some plants that're sold can not be submerged and others require high light/co2. Look for the low light/low maintenance plants.

Hello gin...

Hornwort and Anacharis are my choices for removing nitrates in the tank water. They're available at most pet stores for a couple of dollars a stem. Just drop them into the tank, they don't require planting in the substrate. Give them decent light and a little liquid fertilizer dosed according to the instructions, when you change the tank water.

Nitrates at a low level aren't harmful to your fish. 30 - 40 ppm is tolerable for most aquarium fish, but lower is better. Perform larger, more frequent water changes and the fish and plants will be fine.

B

thankyou. my nitrate is always between 30 and 10.

Back
Top Bottom