Easy plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Workhorse

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 46 gallon tank that has been stocked for 3 weeks now and I would like to add a few real plants. I'm looking to have a mixture of real and artificial plants. I have a relatively low wattage light and do not plan on using a CO2 system. Any recommendations for a couple different types of easy plants?

I was thinking about some...

Anubias
- congensis
- nana
- coffee leaf

Crypt
- balansae
- bronze wendlii

Yes, Anubias and crypts are relatively easy. Java ferns work well too. If you have some driftwood in the tank, surrounding it with anubias and j. ferns is an excellent option.

How much light do you currently have? IMO, you need at minimum 1wpg for live plants.

I don't have a lot of light, another reason that I want something easy. I think it's a 20 watt light, but I need to check again.

My rudimentary math skills tells me that you have @ 0.43 watts per gallon. That isn't nearly enough for the tank, especially if you wish to see any growth. I would suggest that if the bulb is giving you 20 watts that you consider upgrading to get to the 1wpg minimum.

I have a strip light made by All-Glass that came with the tank. I would up grade the bulb to a higher wattage, but I'm not sure if the light can handle it. It doesn't say what the max wattage is.

It can not be upgraded. You will have to replace it or get a retrofit kit for it. Do you have a glass top or the plastic top with just a strip for the light.

If you have a glass top then you can get another strip or buy a double tube one and just set it on top. You could also get a 65 watt pc strip light and you will be able to grow all the plants on your list plus more and still not be high enough to have to worry about CO2.

Like this

pc light strip

Back
Top Bottom