Easy question on lighting fixture/watts per gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mozcheez

Aquarium Advice Regular
So, I've got my 50 gallon FW tank cycled and have it nearly fully stocked. Going strong now for about 2-3 weeks. All is well. I've recently added 2 anubias nana and 2 amazon swords. I've been dosing with Flourish 2 times a week and I have root tabs on the way.

The aquarium was a store-bought kit with hood and lights included (I didn't plan on live plants initially, but this forum has me hooked). I know I need to at least replace the bulbs, but I will probably need to replace the hoods/fixtures too? This is what I need help on.

I'm afraid this will sound stupid, but I can't seem to find a definitive "plain as day" answer.

The 2 hoods (24" each) are 120V 19W 60hz (I think the only thing we care about is the wattage?). If I've been reading correctly, no matter what kind of bulb I get, I will never get more than 0.76 watts per gallon? (38 total watts / 50 gallons). Is this correct?

So in order to get closer to 1.5-2 watts/gallon, I'll need to get new hoods/fixtures? I have flourescent bulbs now, but there doesn't seem to be an indication of the light spectrum output. I'm assuming they do not fall into the 5000K -6500K range that is recommended.

Are there ways to use the plastic housing from my existing hoods to convert the lighting fixture to what I need? (I guess this would be retrofitting) That sounds like it would be most ideal if I do need to upgrade.

If I need new hoods/fixtures, do any of you have any tips or recommendations? Unfortunately, these hoods have the lids attached so I would likely either have to buy a glass cover w/attached lid for the new hood to sit in or rig it to work with the lids somehow (if retrofitting is not an option).

Thanks for any help! Wow I feel like I'm starting in kindergarten with this stuff :)

Hi,imo you should go with t5ho lighting at 65000k...I like the open top tank look myself although you have to deal with more evaporation..also might be a good idea to start your photo period between 6-8hrs to do what you can to stop algea from getting a hold...

Thanks for your advice. I'd prefer not to go open top tank, as our cat would be taking a bath daily to get to these fish. Also, after googling T5 fixtures, it looks like they range anywhere from $100-$400. I'd prefer to spend less if possible (unless I have no choice), as my focus is really on the fauna at the moment, with the flora as a tank enhancement. I just am not sure the low light plants will survive with my current setup (already I'm starting to see some dull brown on my sword leaves).

I definitely want to put in the time and effort (and finances) to maintaining a lightly planted low-light tank, but I want to take it step by step (fully understanding each step!) and start with what I can just "get by" with until I learn more and determine if this is something I really want to pursue more intensely. I hope that makes sense? :D

EDIT: Today I learned about T5HO lighting and that the time your tank lights are on is called a "photo period" :D Thanks tiger terror.

You could get a t5 normal output fixture they sell at Petsmart. Your current setup doesn't seem to need high light. If you do go the t5 high output route, a single bulb fixture might work and keep you away from needing co2. 48 inch fixtures are what you're looking for. Plus with the normal output fixture from Petsmart, you could get bulbs from there as opposed to having to find somewhere they sell t5 ho bulbs.

Atxpunx said:
You could get a t5 normal output fixture they sell at Petsmart. Your current setup doesn't seem to need high light. If you do go the t5 high output route, a single bulb fixture might work and keep you away from needing co2. 48 inch fixtures are what you're looking for. Plus with the normal output fixture from Petsmart, you could get bulbs from there as opposed to having to find somewhere they sell t5 ho bulbs.

+1 on the t5no lighting...

mozcheez said:
Thanks for your advice. I'd prefer not to go open top tank, as our cat would be taking a bath daily to get to these fish. Also, after googling T5 fixtures, it looks like they range anywhere from $100-$400. I'd prefer to spend less if possible (unless I have no choice), as my focus is really on the fauna at the moment, with the flora as a tank enhancement. I just am not sure the low light plants will survive with my current setup (already I'm starting to see some dull brown on my sword leaves).

I definitely want to put in the time and effort (and finances) to maintaining a lightly planted low-light tank, but I want to take it step by step (fully understanding each step!) and start with what I can just "get by" with until I learn more and determine if this is something I really want to pursue more intensely. I hope that makes sense? :D

EDIT: Today I learned about T5HO lighting and that the time your tank lights are on is called a "photo period" :D Thanks tiger terror.

Your welcome,just trying to offer some helpful advice..show some pics once you get going..

The tank I have has the black plastic rim around the top, and has a divider going across the middle (front to back) to support the 2 hoods from the center of the tank. Will a typical 48" hood just rest on top of there? I don't know how hot they get, but would I have to worry about melting or anything? (probably a dumb question)

Thanks for the tip about Petsmart. I will probably run by there just to take a look and get a better idea of what I'm looking for.

If you are gonna do a glass top they'll fit down into the recessed areas on the top of the tank..as for melting,it shouldn't be a problem..as for the t5 fixture look for one which has a decent reflector..meaning above&on the side of the bulbs..

Hoping I have this straight. Could I do 2 24" versa tops to cover the tank (remember the support bar at the center) and then a 48" t5no on top of the 2 versa tops and plastic support bar?

Just checked all this out at petsmart and will now take a closer look at my tank when i get home.

Yeah the versa tops are the clear tops right? Totally would work. I have two pieces of acrylic that I cut to fit those sections then I have the 48 inch fixture on top. The acrylic cost 7 dollars a piece ( bought two ) at home depot. My fixture is a t5 high output 48 inch and have yet to run into problems with heat.

Oh, great! I think I understand now :) I like the idea of acrylic better. The versa tops were glass, I think. Heavier and WAY more expensive. Also the acrylic is a lot more manageable if I ever need to make cuts for anything.

I took pictures of all that petsmart gear and plan to do more research tonight, but I like that plan you stated above. What did you do for a lid? Just leave that area open? Have a loose piece that you adhered a handle to? A hinged lid would be ideal. But I do like the idea of a removable piece too.

Just got my 50' python changer in the mail today. The fixture will need to wait until next payday :p

Well the way I cut it, it's right on top so it just slides right off. It is a pain getting in there unless I slide it over or take it off, I manage though. 6500k and 6700k really isn't that far off, I'd do either. I have a t5 ho so I have to go to hydroponic shops to get replacement bulbs. Those Petsmart fixtures are normal output, but they have the bulbs right there which is the convenience factor.

Okay, so now that I've had more time to think about this, I'm considering T5HO. However, I don't want to dive into the world of CO2 just yet (and if I ever do, it will be a DIY setup).

Again, I'm having low-light plants such as anubais, amazon sword, java moss, maybe some java fern or crypts one day if things go well. I'm using Flourish and have root tabs on the way. At a minimum, I'm upgrading to a dual T5NO fixture. I'm hoping to not use CO2 unless absolutely 100% necessary.

However, if I'm already spending that much money, should I consider upgrading to T5HO instead? Would using T5HO basically end up requiring the use of CO2 in the tank? If so, I'll stick with the normal output fixture.

This is my first planted tank (50 gallon), and it's currently stocked with cory cats, pearl danios, cardinal tetras, 2 indian glassfish, and hopefully 3 dwarf gourami in the future once I can get some plant growth going. I have 2 anubias nana and 2 amazon sword in the tank, and I'm trying to get some java moss clipping to grow in a vase in my window :p Once I get the 4 plants healthy and growing, I'll look into adding some others.

Also a quick question. If the T5NO fixture is 28W, and it's dual bulb, that means I'll have 56W for the tank? Is that right? Is that still too low for a 50 gallon? (1.12 W/gall)

EDIT: Nevermind, I see where you said above that using a single fixture T5HO might keep me from having to use CO2. For low-light, no CO2, would you recommend dual T5NO or single T5HO? I can get the dual T5NO with 2 bulbs included for $89.99 (and I have a gift card!)

Last edited:
Gift cards are awesome! I don't personally have experience with t5 normal output, but I know they don't give as intense of a light so it helps the no co2 wanting. I'd kind of would choose the normal out fixture, more bulbs and the replacement bulbs are at Petsmart, plus it'll be in that low light area. It ultimately lies in your hands, I asked the same question a while back for myself and I went with a four bulb t5 high output just because I had the money. I'm eventually going towards pressurized co2 though. I only run two bulbs at the moment.

Well that was not a cheap trip :p

Got the T5NO dual fixture and 2 versa tops. They are really nice covers and wow the light difference! I don't think the pictures do it justice, but here goes:

Before
OYKSGl.jpg

After:
Tc2ALl.jpg

The colors are so much more vivid and everything just "pops" better. I really like it. There is a hugely obvious difference in brightness in person, and I don't think the pictures pick that up.

Unfortunately, both the timers were have in the house are fairly old and accept 2 pronged plugs. The hood is 3 prong :( There's always "1 more thing" to buy, right? :lol:

Anyway, thanks for all your help. The root tabs came today too, so I put 2 in near the amazon swords, but far enough away to "draw" the roots out. I also bought a plant bulb pack for the heck of it (it had fairly favorable reviews) and will use a plastic breeder box in-tank to start them. Won't plant them until they show growth.

So now, of course, I have 2 24" hoods that I think should have tanks attached.... :p Husband says no lol

Back
Top Bottom