Eclipse Sytem 2 and plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PK Tester

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was wondering is it possible to plant an Eclipse System 2 (12 gal)...with just its normal light? I'm sorry I don't know much about its light. Also...is just normal gravel ok? Is this at all possible? Thanks

-TJ

Yes PK Tester...it is possible. You'll want to stick with plants that don't get too big and those that need low light levels. I can recommend some of the Cryptocoryne species like C. wendtii and Java Fern, Microsorium. You might also consider something like one of the smaller Anubias like A. nana. If I remember correctly, the Eclipse 12 has a 13 watt CF light system so that definitely keeps you limited on the types of plants you can expect to grow successfully.

I thought thats what those eclipse systems were made to do? Grow plants? I almost bought one but everytime I saw one it was half full and had frogs and stuff in it.

I have one and Fruitbat is right, it has a 13w PC bulb, unless you got the special double-strip Eclipse hood, but that is generally a special-order type item.

I grow crypts in mine, and you can also grow aponogeton (they get large and take up a lot of room). I also have java fern. Crypts will appreciate a finer substrate but I have grown them in plain gravel, with the use of root tabs. Sand substrate, crypts and a bunch of guppies or Endler's would make a lovely display.

You have impeccable taste, TankGirl!! :) A couple of Cryptocoryne wendtii or another smaller species in the mid-ground and maybe some taller Java Ferns in the background would look great in a tank like that. Toss in a small piece of driftwood or some nice rocks and a 'herd' of Endler's and that tank would be gorgeous!!!!

That is basically what I have now, with the driftwood having the java fern tied to it and propped up vertically, and crypts in the foreground. I have kribs in it now, but it looks like my 3 juvies are turning out to be 3 males ( :x ), so it might wind up being an Endler's tank.

Sweet!! I learn more stuff here. I was looking for a nice fish to swim around with my gold ram cichlids. Are these guys up for the challenge?

They would be but the Ram will more than likely view the babies as lunch.

Endler's are very, very small fish, so you have to be careful what you put them with. I plan on a species-only tank for them.

Thanks all this is very helpfull...currtently its stuffed full of feeder guppies haha. I like feeder guppies...much hardier. I can't get fancy guppies to live in my aquarium. normal water params too 6.8 - 7.0 ...last time I checked my nitrate was alittle high. Did some water changes since then though. Also I forgot to mentio my aquarium has a low salt concentration for my guppies. They do better with the little salt. I belive one table spoon per 5 gals. Will these plants still live in that?

TankGirl said:
I have one and Fruitbat is right, it has a 13w PC bulb, unless you got the special double-strip Eclipse hood, but that is generally a special-order type item.

I grow crypts in mine, and you can also grow aponogeton (they get large and take up a lot of room). I also have java fern. Crypts will appreciate a finer substrate but I have grown them in plain gravel, with the use of root tabs. Sand substrate, crypts and a bunch of guppies or Endler's would make a lovely display.

TankGirl could I see a picture of your tank? Thanks!

I have been unable to get a good shot because the front is curved slightly and I am not exactly a pro with the digicam, but I will try!

TankGirl said:
I have been unable to get a good shot because the front is curved slightly and I am not exactly a pro with the digicam, but I will try!

Thanks so much :)

Just to tell you all...in the aquarium I have just a huge amount of what I belive to be Java Moss. My teacher gave me it saying he didn't know what it was. I thought it was Java moss and took it for my guppies and their fry. Well He gave me a huge amount in the first place but it had been about 3 weeks...it covered the whole ground of my aquarium. I love it the fry hang out in it and never get eaten. I had way too much though. I put some in my 10 gal...uncovered lol. It just gets light from a window and my room...its doing fine. I just let my java moss float around. It takes alot of abuse from my net too lol. When attempting to catch a pregnat fish that I had placed in the breeding net...she kept Burrowing into my java moss. Oh well...finally got her and tore a little java moss off and placed it in the breeder net. She kept hiding some im almost postive I will have baby fry soon.

I would like to get a java fern or two. I need to add a little more gravel to hold any plants though oh well...hehe.

Actually, PK Tester, Java Ferns don't require a whole lot of gravel. One of the mistakes that a lot of people make with Java Fern is trying to bury the rhizome in the gravel. This often kills the plant by contributing to rotting of the rhizome. Java Fern doesn't use its rhizome for anything but attaching to its substrate...it gets its nutrients directly from the water. I've grown Java Fern very successfully with the rhizome simply laying on top of the gravel or attached to a piece of rock or driftwood.

Well I can't seem to get the pic to post here but if you look in my gallery you will see some pics of the Eclipse.

Oh...ok wellt hanks for the info...I still added some more because I wanted a little more in my aquarium. I beleive its around 1.5" now or maybe max 2" ..I only had about .5 of inch

I guess my photo did post, after all! I did not get the usual message that "your image has uploaded" so I did not think it was there.

Anyway, as Fruitbat mentioned, when it comes to substrate and java fern "never the 'twain shall meet" holds true, though I know many people who shove it in the gravel and it grows fine. It is just not necessary (as long as the rhizome is not buried, it attaches to the gravel). I use it attached to objects to add plantings in the middle and upper strata of my tanks.

Back
Top Bottom