eco complete alternatives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jennkp

Aquarium Advice Activist
I want to plant our betta tank & turn his gallon bowl into a planted shrimp bowl but there are no pet stores that carry eco complete or anything like it. What else could we use?

Floramax is essentially the same stuff without the liquid. I see it at all the petsmart stores. Just rinse it well before using it.

There isn't a pet smart in 100 miles of where I am. That's why I was wondering if there was anything else we could try.

Sand or any small grained gravel will work. You'll just have to add root tabs, which you would with Eco too, for any crypts, swords, or bulb plants.

I already have sand I just figured the eco or flora ax would help as I'm not running co2 but we can get flourish.

Oil-Dri, pure clay cat litter, or similar substrates have a high CEC so they are good for plants as well. With them, it still is a good idea to use root tabs, though.

I already have sand I just figured the eco or flora ax would help as I'm not running co2 but we can get flourish.

You can get good results using a liquid carbon like Excel if your not using CO2. You don't really need to change out your substrate unless you just want to.

Of course I could get it from amazon but wanted to do it today & not wait. Just going with sand diy root tabs & excel.

Oil-Dri, pure clay cat litter, or similar substrates have a high CEC so they are good for plants as well. With them, it still is a good idea to use root tabs, though.

you can go to an autoparts store and get oil-dry. same stuff and nice bronze color

Back
Top Bottom