Eco Complete cleaning ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

current516

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well... I am moving.
So I am starting completely over with new plants and fish.

I would like to make sure that I don't bring any live algae or anything else into my new tank. So do I just rinse the Eco Complete really well with tap water, or should I use something more? Like vinegar or diluted bleach?

Also, how long is Eco Complete beneficial? Do the nutrients get drained until it becomes just black gravel?

Thanks in advance.

You do not rinse Eco. It comes in a thick bag with Amazon Blackwater in it. You just put it in the tank and you are set. Once you put Eco in, you will never have to change out the substrate.

Sorry I wasn't clear.

My tank currently has Eco-Complete in it. I am taking the tank down and starting over for the move. Plants and fish are gone. Only have water, and Eco-Complete / gravel mix left.

I want to clean it before using it in the tank after I move.

Keep some of the gunk ("mulm") and spread it around the bottom of the tank before putting the substrate back in though. This will seed the substrate and help you when starting the tank back up.

OK. I think I'll just rinse it well.

I only had one bag of Eco-Complete before. It was mixed in with regular gravel. I think I'm going to try to salvage as much Eco as I can and buy 1 or 2 new bags of Eco. When I set it up again, the new stuff will get that black water action going!

This is a whole new direction but: Eco " contains iron, calcium, magnesium, potassium, sulfur plus over 25 other elements to nourish your aquatic plants."

Should I be figuring these in when I dose ferts? Do you guys?

As for me, I don't figure those in, no. Would only be for root feeders. But plants that take nutrients from the water column won't benefit as much from it, and need to dose anyways...

As for rinsing, are you sure you would want to rinse? A good portion of eco is dust-sized particles. I would say keep it as it is, and if there's any gunk on top before adding to the tank again, take the gunk out and give the rest a good mixing, as it will be more beneficial for the plants. Just my thought for others to comment on. :)

I'd have to agree with LoneWolf. If it were me I think I'd just give it a good strong gravel vac if needed, before adding the additional eco.

If you rinse eco your gonna loose most of it down the drain.
That stuff is pretty expensive and beneficial to be lettin it wash down the drain. IMO

rich311k said:
I stand or in this case sit corrected. I just hate to move goo.

That's ok... When ready to set up the tank again, you can remove any goo if there's any on the surface, then mix it all up and put in the tank. Some goo is good for the plants, but yes, if there's excess goo on top, remove it.

Lonewolfblue said:
As for me, I don't figure those in, no.
As for rinsing, are you sure you would want to rinse?

Thanks, and I'm never really sure of anything.
I'll follow the advice of you good folks though.

Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom