Eco complete fine grade ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clarkm

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm fairly new to planted aquariums and have struggled the last 6 months with dying plants and algae problems. I have decided to switch out my regular gravel for eco complete fine grade. Tank has been running for over 3 years with only the last 6 months having real plants . It will be a complete overhaul of everything in the tank. Does anyone have experience with eco complete fine grade ? What problems will i see with switching out gravel and decorations. Filter is mature and was just going to leave it alone. It's a 60 gallon tank with 2x39 watts t5ho light

HI clarkm.
Welcome to AA. You have found a great forum of good, friendly and knowledgeable people willingly helping each other in this great hobby. Glad to have you with us.
With humility, I invite you to check out my thread "Brian's(Old scales) Rescape Journal"
I just went thru the project of a rescape of my 29g using Eco-Complete Black Fine Grade and it should have some helpful info as well as my impression of the Fine Grade.
In a nutshell, I really like it. OS. (I think the thread is on page two right now)

Old scales , yes I have seen your thread and have read through it and seen that you like the fine grade eco. I only hope to someday be able to grow a tank like yours. It's been a struggle since I first went planted.

Clark,
One year ago I was a total noob to a serious planted tank. I've kept fish for 50+ years but the plants were just there for the fish to swim in and munch on. Everything you see in my tank is from knowledge and help these wonderful people in here have given me.
Just read lots of threads about what you are interested in, use the internet and ask us questions you have that come up. Folks in here can save you a lot of grief and money in the adventure into planted tanks. Welcome to the family! OS.

Have a question for anyone. When putting in new eco complete fine grade do you put root tabs in before planting or after planting ?

Yes, you need to put in some root tabs in the Eco fine. It doesn't have nutrients on its own but it readily absorbs it from root tabs and water borne ferts. OS.

Ya I understand that I need to use them. But my question is I guess do I need to put the root tabs in the substrate before I put plants in or just plant my plants and then place the tabs only near root feeding plants

Well learned to not order eco complete in the winter. Came in today frozen solid and leaking everywhere.

wow. I hope you didn't pay a fortune to have it shipped...
I ordered some. I hope it arrives OK.

Shipping was free with dr foster and smith just all 3 bags are frozen solid and one of the bags burst and leaked

Call or email them and they will probably send new ones. Just have your order number handy. They are very good about fixing these types of problems.

I also ordered from Drs Foster and Smith. My tracking says it is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I hope mine is not frozen.

If it's ups delivering it then it will be frozen. Probably depends where u live at. I'm in Kansas and it only took 4 days but it still was frozen solid

ut oh, I ordered some last week as well and its supposed to be here today. Its probably sitting on my porch frozen right now. I wonder if it freezing hurts it? Isn't it supposed to have bacteria in it or something??

Back
Top Bottom