eco-complete in a very lightly planted tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hc8719

Aquarium Advice Addict
is it possible to keep eco-complete while keeping plants to a minimum?

i understand that you need some, or the waste would just inch up, but does the tank need to be densely planted?

you know I've been wondering the same thing, I have a heavyly planted tank but with no special substrate. I was wondering how you would keep waste from building up around the plants, I tried lighting pressing the vaccum over the plants, worked alright but I know I need to get down deeper to get the good stuff lol

I went with a 50/50 mix of eco and regular sand in a lighty planted tank. I concentrated the eco in the back and toward the corners. I have light planting with two groups in the corners and as they propegate I will move them across the back.
This has been set up for almost two months and the plants seem happy. I also use Flourish excel 2-3x a week. I will get a picture of the tank and add to this post.
Other than a rather ugly diatom outbreak I am happy with the setup.
Lots of new growth and rooting going on.

random%20013.jpg

No plants is ok too. But who would pay that much for a substrate if they were not going to plant it when there's other cheaper options if you were not going to plant? Another nice looking substrate that's a little cheaper, and is good for planting is Volcanit. I've goy it in 1 tank, and getting more for 2 more tanks, my empty 10G tanks.

it was more of a theory than anything, though with as much waste as my pleco and gouramis produce, it'd be worth it almost if i never had to dig into the substrate and get the hordes of waste collected over a week or 2

Then get some swords or crypts and quit vacuuming. The waste that is deeper than the surface is plant food at that point.

Back
Top Bottom