Eco-complete question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Areos

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi AA!
2 days ago i bought eco-complete (2 small buckets) from a guy who had a planted tank. I paid $10 which i think it was a good deal, considering it has all the bacteria for a second tank i got yesterday (50g) :).

Anyways, last night i put the substrate in the new tank leaving the water very cloudy and kinda murky, which is alright since it takes a few days to clear. so I went to work like any given day and when i get back...i found my soon-to-be-wife :silly: using my python, cleaning, doing water change...the whole deal. I lover her but i wanted to :uzi:...

My precious bacteria is gone for sure, but what about the substrate? is it useless now? i know you dont have to rinse eco-complete, but what happens if you do? you lose the 'bacteria' that comes with it? sorry for the newbie questions :D.

thx.

If the bacteria have been without food for a couple of days (ie no fish and no other ammonia source), it's probably dead anyway. The substrate will still be perfectly fine for growing plants.

Yeah I seriously doubt she did any harm at all. I wish I could get my fiance to do a gravel vac. Her idea of "helping" is looking at the fish, and even then she only ever does it when I beg her to. It's a shame really, having what I consider to be a beautiful interesting tank that she just basically ignores.

Umm..sorry to rant there, yeah get a raw prawn in that tank to give the bacteria something to feed on so that bacteria rich eco stays that way.

Back
Top Bottom