Eco complete vs fluval stratum vs fluorite black sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baydo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Which one of these would you recommend for a planted tank.
Thanks

Which one of these would you recommend for a planted tank.
Thanks

I've used all three, so I'll give you the good and the bad.

Eco-comp

Pros: Comes with some nutrients, no rinsing needed, decent cation exchange capacity, does not compact, will last the life of the tank.

Cons: Expensive, irregular grain size, looses its attractive dark colour (turns kind of grey), hard to plant delicate plants into. Initial nutrients do not last long, so a little pointless (have to start fertilizing basically right away).

Other thoughts: I wouldn't use it again, larger grains work their way to the top and smaller grains work their way to the bottom making it not attractive and subsequently hard to plant into. Inert and won't effect water chemistry.

Flourite

Pros: Decent cation exchange capacity, more consistent granule size, stays its original dark black colour, does not create layers of irregular sized particles, does not compact, will last the life of the tank.

Cons: Expensive, does not come with nutrients, messy (although the last 2 bags I got were surprisingly clean), somewhat hard to plant delicate plants into, possible messy/cloudy water if you disturb it too much. No nutrients so you have to dose straight away.

Other thoughts: Currently what I'm using, I like it over eco-comp for its granule size, colour and physical characteristics. It's also a little cheaper than eco-comp. Inert so it won't effect water chemistry.

Stratum

Pros: Attractive soil colour, shape and granule size, decent cation exchange capacity, does not create layers, easy to plant into, perfect for smaller tanks. Buffers water to decent parameters.

Cons: Expensive, Messy messy messy, will turn into black muck starting at about a year (if you don't disturb it, it will last longer), very light so it moves easily, some plants don't like to stay put.

Other thoughts: I would use again in a smaller tank (if cost was not a factor) that I'm not planning on keeping long term. Very comparable to aqua soil, I wouldn't say it is as good though. It buffers the water so eventually it will get burnt out.

If you want pictures of each in a tank let me know, or any specific questions.

Nice substrate write up.
I only have experience with EcoComplete. I concur on your assessment.
My next substrate will probably Brightwell Aquatics FlorinVolcanit.

Back
Top Bottom