eco, low light, and no plants???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

muddlehead

Aquarium Advice Regular
i plan on going with a high light and pressurized CO2 setup in the future but i dont really want to fork out the money for it right now, so what i was thinking was that i would put my eco complete and moon sand mixture in the aquarium, fill it up and run the tank with NO bulbs for awhile until i get my lights and my CO2, now does anyone forsee a problem with this?? will the high nutrient soil effect the water or fish?? and is there anything that should be taken into consideration with this setup?? thanks

It shouldn't be a problem, theonly thing I could see is an algea bloom if it gets ahlod of the nutrients. With the moonsand over the eco complete it should cut down most of the leaching of nutrients. Some temporary Anacharis should fix that by leaching nutrients out of the water, then just remove it when you put in the plants you want later. Anacharis won't care if you have poor lighting, and you could even just let it float so it's easier to yank out later.

it's a great idea--especially if you're planning a high light tank later. it's not easy to change out substrate, so if there's one thing you want to spend the money on upfront, it should be the substrate. the rest can come later.

good luck!

Back
Top Bottom