Eel's in Sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlonelyCody

Aquarium Advice Freak
I would like to put my eels in a take with sand. Would they do well with cichlid sand? Cichlid sand raises the pH to around 8.0 is that to high for my eels? I have a Tire Track and a Peacock eel. I have found a lot of info in the Tire Track eel, and from what i have found the highest pH that they can be in it 7.2 but i have had a hard time finding info in the Peacock. If not the cichlid sand. would other sand be ok? would it hurt them? I have read that the peacock will burrow no matter what the substrate is and will burrow and injure them selfs if the gravel is to big. My Tire Track is close to 7 1/2 inchs and my Peacock is around 5 inchs. And suggestions or info would help.

Thanks. :wink:

They have peacock eels at my local Petsmart and I see them buried in the gravel all the time, they look pretty happy in the gravel. I'd get a small gravel or go with a non-reactive sand like tahitian moon.

If its a Cichlid tank, And you have its pH higher than th rest of your tanks, Your going to have to be extremly cautious with introducing that eel or else it could die from pH shock.

Baring that, I would also be cautious with such a peaceful fish with Cichlids, I don't keep Cichlids but with their reputation, I would be leary of adding something that couldn't hold its own against them.

Cody--you should be careful about using that picture as your avatar. Photographs from websites should be used with permission... Someone here got busted for that a few weeks ago by the guy who'd taken the picture. We had to take the pic down. Even I can tell you where your DP pic comes from: http://www.rr.iij4u.or.jp/~kohda/en/en-dwarfpuffer.htm

That said, I think a lot of ppl aren't careful about that... Oh well.

BTW, Chinese Algae Eaters get large, angry and ugly. Return them to your store as soon as possible. Replace them with bristlenose plecos, or otocinclus catfish (though these sometimes die quite easily) as algae-eaters. I had them for a while, and learned how nasty they could be from personal experience. Other ppl post plaintiff threads about CAEs terrorizing their other fish.

The eel will bury itself in the sand no problem.

thank you for the info. and i know that the CAE do get large. I also changed my avatar. this pic is of one of my cichlids sorry the pic isn't very clear. i am going to try to get some better ones. Yes i know i double posted, that was an accident i hit refresh and it posted it twice. :lol: i am going to look at sand today at the stores. :mrgreen: i do think that it would be a bad idea to put him in with the cichlids. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom