Egg tumbler actually working?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishOwner

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have this chronic issue with all of my shrimps dropping their eggs. After dealing with this for a year now, I decided to buy a cheap egg tumbler from Amazon (highly doubted it would work, but might as well try). Right around that time two shrimps dropped their eggs.

I had around 80 eggs to work with. Around two days in around half the eggs went clear white which I guess means fertilization didn't happen? I kept losing eggs to this clear white thing (no losses to mold) until I had two left. These two have gone a tad bit red (cherry shrimp eggs) and have developed eyes. Hoping for a hatch any day now!

Maybe they are dropping their eggs *because* they didn’t successfully fertilize them? Or most of them? If you are seeing eyes at least those two are developing!

How long has this been happening? I have read it’s pretty common for new/young mama shrimp to drop them the first time or two.

I wish I knew, I picked up an egg tumblr on Amazon as well on a whim to have on hand. Though it doesn’t happen often, I have tried to save eggs before in a brine shrimp net and been unsuccessful!

The last two eggs have hatched! :dance: Tiny little shrimplets are swimming in the egg tumbler. I put in a piece of gravel from the bottom of the tank for them to feed on.

This problem has been happening for the past 6 months. I know at least some of the batches are fertilized because I have tried an alternate way of hatching and gotten some eyes (sadly, none hatched).

I bought this egg tumbler: https://www.amazon.com/Cobella-Aqua...ords=shrimp+egg+tumbler&qid=1616202177&sr=8-8 One issue I've had with it is that it's very fragile: had to return it on the day of arrival because it shattered when I was putting it together. Another problem is the fact that the nets have silicon around them, so the eggs can get trapped there. This wasn't an issue for me because I only gave the eggs a small bounce and used a pipette to adjust their position.

That’s the one I ordered as well! Advice to be very careful noted!

Congrats on the two hatches! Still better than they’d have done on their own!

Back
Top Bottom