Eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Owl307

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am very, very excited! This is the second confirmed spawn for my kribensis! I hope they don't eat their eggs. This is momma kribs first full day in the pot. They spawned early last night. All she does is poke her little head out well not her whole head only the tip of her nose. I'm worried about my pleco and my crayfish. The pleco is always near the cave and he is mean. He is not friendly with other fish. The mom has been biting his tail when it gets close enough but he whips around and stands his ground. Daddy is only partially willing to get involved. I could almost say he is interested in breeding with the other female. And finally my poor poor crayfish. She has a big gash across the base of her tail. It is all puffy and red. What should I do. I want the best for my krib family. I'll let you know if the spawn turns out to be a success. Sorry about length!
With concern and excitement
Thanks for all your help in advance
Melani Ronkovitz

I manadged to grab a few pics when she came to take a look. There not the best because i took them on my ipod. She looks thin...the male was nearby. Although I saw him displaying for another female and she was displaying back. Is it possible for him to spawn with more than one female?

Attachments

• kribs 001.jpg
    kribs 001.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 95
  • kribs 002.jpg
    kribs 002.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 99
  • kribs 003.jpg
    kribs 003.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 91
  • kribs 004.jpg
    kribs 004.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 89
I just had my first krib spawn the other day. The fry are now swimming around with the mother/father closely guarding them. I guess it really depends on how good the parents are.

I have them in a community tank with a large koi angel, upside down catfish and some von rio tetras. They are constantly chasing the other fish (even the angel which is 10x bigger than the kribs) away to the other side of the tank. If I stand too close to the tank, or for too long, the mother will start grabbing the fry in her mouth and spit them into her pit she dug.

I'm not sure how long it took for the eggs to develop because I never saw them. She dug a pit under a large piece of red slate and I guess laid the eggs under there.

Does she have a sunken belly? It kind of looks like it from the pictures, but it is hard to tell. Mine had a HUGE bright red/purple belly right before she went into hiding a few days ago. She has since lost her belly and the color is not as bright. It seems like her other colors are much brighter now too.

Yes she does have a sunken belly. Although when I came home today she went into another pot. Do you think she might have moved the eggs or fry? Does your pair ever display fir each other while the fry are around? Oops I maen fry. The female is acting very strange now. She is very skittish aggresive and thinn but she is not in her pot.Shr is also breathing heavily. Thanks for the info
Melani

If she has a sunken belly and is thin it could be parasites. Is she still eating?

I doubt they would move the eggs. The fry move with my female in a big "cloud" and she will scoop up any strays.

Mine haven't really been doing anything but protecting the fry. Both parents are helping tend to the fry.

Sent from my Droid using Aquarium Advice app

Back
Top Bottom