Eggs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daven

Aquarium Advice Freak
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1450649935.911763.jpg

I started seeing different clusters of these eggs in my tank and was hoping someone here could help me sort this out. I have 10 rummynose tetras and 9 panda corries (5 just added though and the other 4 haven't really settled in yet so I doubt them). Could it be the rummynose?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Small for cory eggs, but could be if the corys are young.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Corries are young, but i kinda doubt it yet. The first batch has spent most of its time hiding so far, that ive seen. And the newest group was just introduced on friday. Could be snails i guess, i didnt think of that. I have malaysian trumpets and some other kind that came in with plants that i dont know the species. A regular snail shell shape and the biggest in my tank is maybe half inch. I hope this isnt the beginning of a snail explosion lol

Is there a clear gel around the eggs? If so it's snails.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I can't tell if there's anything around them since they're very small. The best I can see is in the picture. My money's on snails though -.- gonna have to pluck them out and feed them to my cichlids lol

Definitely snail eggs. I don't think cory eggs are laid in such close proximity to each other. If hey have that clear jelly around them then it's snails for sure. Pond snails lay these kinds of eggs, and IME are the only snails that will eat your plants. I'd try and get as many out as you can. The fish like to eat them, especially puffers!

My bad.. Didn't know there were snails in the tank at the time

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1450669409.423043.jpg

These are the snails I have in my tank as well. I tried picking them out when I first set up but I can never manage to get every one and in no time there's more

Pick them out and send them to me, I could use more loach food :lol: Too bad it's winter, don't want to send anything live... talk to me in May!

lol so are they detrimental to the plants or do they just eat decaying bits? I couldnt care less if i have snails in the tank as long as they dont negatively effect things. I love my trumpet snails, i hope they wont outcompete them to death

Last edited:
I have those plus pond snails and MTS in my planted tank and they have zero impact on plant life.

I have those plus pond snails and MTS in my planted tank and they have zero impact on plant life.

Great! So id assume the trumpets havent gotten trimmed out of the equation from the ramshorns mass-producing like they appear to be trying in my tank? lol I read that each egg is actually like 20-30 or something snails... holy frig

Mine just annoy me because I overfeeding and they take food away from plecos

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

The Rams horns are not reproducing out of control. Oddly, most of the adult specimens are dead. They, for some reason, end up on the filter intake and by the time I get to them, they are dead. I have even tilted the intake as much as possible away from the back wall but the manage to get to it. I have the same problem with MTS but they are fine after being stuck on the intake for a day or two.

I made a prefilter sponge out of old sponges for each of my intakes so I don't have any losses there. As long as I can keep my trumpets I'm happy. I could t see winning the fight to remove them working out too well lol always gonna miss one microscopic snail :p

Back
Top Bottom