Eheim 2236 probably broken, but still hoping against hope

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rory92

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have been running an Eheim 2236 for the past year in my (I think 35 gallon) tank which houses our painted turtle, Rory. Always kept up on filter maintenance pretty regularly, until about 3 months ago. Got a new job, etc, excuses excuses I know.
I went away for the weekend and came home to find no water flow whatsoever, and a low grade mechanical humming noise (different from regularly sound, what I assume is the sound of the motor running dry.) "Oh crap," thought I. Opened up the filter, tons of brown slime on the beginning ring of filtration and first layer of mechanical filtration. Obviously got clogged up and stopped pumping water while I was away.
I do a complete cleaning, put everything back together, plug it back in, and nothing. No water movement, not even noise. Nothing whatsoever. I assume the motor burned out completely.

My budget doesn't really have room for another ~$120 for a brand new one, and I've always been very happy with it and hope to not have to go with a cheaper, lower quality option.
What I'm wondering is if you guys know of anyway my filter can be salvaged? Is there a single replacement part I could possibly swap out that would fix it?
Any help is appreciated, thank you:)

tl;dr eheim 2236 ran dry due to me stupid, now doesn't work, makes no noise when plugged in. Repair possible or must replace?

Did you check and clean the impeller? It may just be clogged or broken from overheating.

Back
Top Bottom