Eheim filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wiz561

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi!

When I got my aquarium, the LFS recommended the Eheim line of filters. I purchased a 2215 and I guess it works pretty good. The only problem is that I was wondering how other people have set up the filter. Most of it is in German and doesn't really make a whole lot of sense besides looking at the pictures.

The couple of questions I do have are what is actually in the canister? We have the squiggly noodle looking things at the bottom, then a pad, then some gravel, another white pad, and a black pad. I'm guessing hte black pad is the carbon filter....but the thing that is confusing is that in the instructons, it tells you to remove the black carbon filter after two weeks of the aquarium being on. Hmmmmm.....?

My next question is about the placement of the inlet/outlet hoses. Does it matter where and how they are places? I have the inlet tube attached to the back side of the aquarium, and then the outlet tube under the water at the surface, spraying the water out horizontally.

I was just wondering what other people's setups were and what is the best way to set the Eheim up. I have heard many good things about them, mechanically... I think for instructions, they need to expand just a tad. Thanks for your help!

Mike

What you describe sounds fine to me.

The white pads are mechanical filtration in that they filter out large particles. The black pad is a carbon pad and should be replaced on a regular schedule. It should also be removed when you dose medications.

The noodle looking things and the gravel are biological filtration in that they provide a surface for the bactera to live and thrive.

My next question is about the placement of the inlet/outlet hoses. Does it matter where and how they are places? I have the inlet tube attached to the back side of the aquarium, and then the outlet tube under the water at the surface, spraying the water out horizontally

Just depends on personal preference, but your set up is fine. I keep the spray bar vertical, deep on one side of the tank, so I get sort of a circular circulation, if that makes any sense! My tank is planted, so I don't use the carbon pad, as it removes trace elements from the water that my plants need.

Eheims are costly, but I'm very happy with mine.

fishfreek said:
What you describe sounds fine to me.

The white pads are mechanical filtration in that they filter out large particles. The black pad is a carbon pad and should be replaced on a regular schedule. It should also be removed when you dose medications.

The noodle looking things and the gravel are biological filtration in that they provide a surface for the bactera to live and thrive.

Could you please define what a regular schedule for the carbon pad is? :D

Thanks!

Copied directly from the eheim website:

http://www.eheim.com/

A. Maintenance is comprised of two separate tasks, media maintenance and filter maintenance.

Media Maintenance:

Your 2211, 2213, 2215, 2217 needs to be cleaned every 3-6 months.

You should change 1/3 ­ 2/3 of the EHFISUBSTRAT every 6-12 months.

The EHFISYNTH pad should be changed with every cleaning (every 3-6 months)

and the EHFIFIX pad should be changed when it becomes flattened or every year.

Filter Care and Maintenance:

EHEIM pumps and filters have been designed to offer the user many years of service with minimal maintenance required. However, if your EHEIM filter is to be reliable and operate fault-free for many years, they do need a little care.

Following are some tips on filter and pump maintenance. The following is best undertaken when you change your filter media.

Rinse the filter canister and the two lattice screens with water and remove any adhering dirt residues. Before the pump head is replaced, check the rubber o-ring. If it is worn it should be replaced immediately. If it is not worn, it should be moistened so that the pump head can be pressed down without difficulty.

The water inlet of the canister should be cleaned with an EHEIM cleaning brush. At longer intervals (every six months or when build up of debris is seen), the hose system should be cleaned. The EHEIM flexible cleaning brushes are specially designed for this. The nylon thread attached to the brush is threaded through the hose and then pulled through. In this way the valves do not need to be removed.

The pump of your EHEIM filter also requires some regular maintenance. Remove all parts carefully and clean all parts with a mild dishwashing soap and then thoroughly rinse with water making sure that no soap remains.

Clean the cooling pipe and the impeller chamber with the EHEIM brush kit item no. 400955. Replace all parts in reverse order of dissemble. For models 2211 and 2213, when replacing the cooling pipe shaft, ensure that it is pushed in until it is flush and locked into place.

IMPORTANT: if your pump is extremely dirty and the impeller and associated parts are hard to remove, soak the complete pump head in warm water and mild dishwashing soap overnight. You should never force the removal of these parts, as they are fragile.

Back
Top Bottom