Eheim type 2260 pump not working

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chickiepooh

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! I have had an Eheim canister filter running on my 150 gallon tank every winter for the past three years. Today the pump Eheim 2260 (1260?) was only pumping water at a trickle through the spray bar and making noises. I took the pump apart and cleaned the slime off of it, put it back together, primed it and it is not working at all but making loud noises. :( The canister itself is just a foot lower than the tank. There is nothing in the tank but 7 - 10 inch koi. No gravel, nothing. Is there some part I can replace? Or, do I need a new pump? Thanks!

Is there a shaft for the impeller? Also, check to make sure that its in straight, and there is no sand/gravel that might be clocking the filter.

what kind of noises?

Thanks for your reply... shaft? It has a magnet attached to a propeller with not much space in between. It rests in two little rubber end caps to align it. Sorry I am not very technical. There is nothing obstructing the pump. It makes a rattling noise. When I cleaned it I ran the motor briefly to see the impeller operate. It hesitates instead of running smoothly which is what seems to be what is making the noise.

and if you spin it while its off, is there resistance/rubbing?

I don't know about your ehiem, but with Any Hagan products, there is a ceramic "shaft" that the magnet/impeller rotates around. It'll technically run without it, (sometimes) but it rattles around and is very weak - Kind of like the hesitation you are talkinga bout.

I think this is what it looks like in you filter?:
21iMJ3hb3wL.jpg

(Correct me if i'm wrong)

Its the bit that runs inside all that, its kind of like the Axle. If its broken, that could be the cause of your problems/noise.

They're pretty brittle, so its easy to crack them with bending if it wasn't aligned when you put it all back together.

Also, after a good cleaning, my Fluval is always a bit louder. Not as much slime lubercating/insultating the pump ;-)

Hope this helps!

shaft in impeller

Thanks! After taking apart the impeller I found that the shaft was broken. I guess I just need a new shaft. I thank you so much for your help. I am learning! :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom